Jacket-style BCD, NOT weight integrated, but with large pockets for "stuff"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tiburontucson

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for a new BCD, but I really don't like the ones that are weight integrated. I always use a weight belt, so why take up the space in the BCD? I prefer that space be used as a pocket. I like to carry alot of "stuff" i.e. extra flashlight, flare, dive computer, reef hook, safety sausage, mirror, etc. in my pockets but have found that most pockets nowdays are too small to comfortably carry all that I need. Can anyone suggest a good BCD that can carry/distribute stuff in their pockets well? The carrying compartment can even be somewhat inaccessible i.e. I don't get into the pockets all the time, just for emergencies, so even if it's not entirely easy to get into, that's OK. I don't need alot of lift, prefer small/traveler-type BCD. Also like alot of D-rings or other attachment points. Thanks everyone!

You may want to look at a Scubapro GO. Here is a link. SCUBAPRO - GO

Of course the first thing you will notice is it is weight intergrated but it also has very large pockets. Now if you truly like wearing a weight belt, no problem. You can still wear one and you could use the weight pouches as just more pocket room. What you may find is there is enough room in the pockets for your stuff and use it for weight intergration as well.

It is very light weight, has a double weight strap, and can be folded up for travel. If I didn't already have their Seahawk, I would buy one. Scubapro makes an excellent product.

3 to look at - all are closer to base/rental models so may not have the d-rings/travel features you want. But all are non-weight integrated jackets IIRC.

Mares Rover
ScubaPro Pilot
Sherwood Silhouette

Does it have to be a jacket? There's a few back inflate models that might work also. Like the Zeagle Scout. It only has back trim pockets. Nice thing about them is that there's several different Zeagle add-on pockets you can mount on the front or back for more storage.

If you want pockets to keep things in that are capacious and easily accessed, I'd recommend getting a pair of neoprene shorts with pockets, to wear over your wetsuit.

Xshorts.gif

I don't think Dive X-tras makes them any more, but I think XS Scuba has something similar.

If you are carrying things you will need in an emergency, putting them in a poorly accessible pocket seems like a strange decision. Any time you're stressed, you're going to be distracted and clumsier than normal. Things you need in emergencies ought to be very easily reached.

Thanks for the recommendations. After doing some more searching/researching, I am seeing so many weight integrated BCs, I should keep my options open and not limit myself to jacket style only. Like BDSC said, I shouldn't limit myself to non-weight integrated either, I don't have to use the primary weight pockets but can just use the smaller trim pockets for part of my weights. I just need to keep in mind that large carrying capacity is also a important feature for me, as well as travel-light, durable material, dump valves, adjustability, etc. I currently have a back inflate and really don't like it, so I will go back to a jacket-style (that's the only non-negotiable). I probably misspoke about not needing access to the "emergency" stuff, I meant the stuff I carry around but rarely use e.g. I've carried a mirror, sausauge, etc for 30+ years and have never used them, but want to continue to have access to them.

I do not use the weight integration feature of my BC either. Currently have a scuba Pro Classic I think... Anyway I use the weight pocket space as a pretty reliable storage location for the canister that houses my marine radio. It is rather bulky and rides pretty well there. the other side houses a small back up knife inside the weight pocket. I prefer to keep things I am going to use frequently on the outside of my BC and clipped off, but it is a little busy. If you have other gear that you need to use on the surface, it is really not essential to be super fast access... mirrors etc... so the weight pockets can be used for that.

If any shops close by carry ScubaPro have them show you the GO. I think you would like it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom