Training Dives in Cayos Cochinos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

handben

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My son is thinking of taking a Rescue class this summer while we are staying in Cayos Cochinos for a week. I'm wondering if folks here have any experience with the Turtle Bay resort in terms of taking this or other classes. Thanks for the help.

the resort recently changed its name (new ownership?) and the dive staff changed last year so unless someone responds who's just visited i doubt you'll get any pertinent answers.

I would not waste my time in paradise for something you can do in Baltimore.

I would not waste my time in paradise for something you can do in Baltimore.

I hear you on that. I won't be taking the class myself (did in back in 1986). I gather that there is not a whole lot happening on the islands (Cayos Cochinos specifically) other than diving. My wife and I will be content spending our free hours in a hammock with a good book while not diving but he being a 15 year old might appreciate the structure that this gives to his day (in addition to his regular dives with us). I was thinking that the dives he will do for the class will be nicer for sure down there than in one of our local quarries. But I can run that idea by him as well (doing the course here). He's the one though pushing to take it. He has been real fired up about diving since a recent trip where he hit his 100th dive. Thanks for you input.

As noted above, new name new staff. They don't do much, if any, dive training out there. Thus, you can be sure that your son will be alone in the class (not the best for Rescue class), and the instructor will have not taught the class in a long time (if at all). Other than that, I'd agree on finding something for a 15yo to do while there. Depending on your son, he will either be content doing nothing, or be ready to leave by the end of the week.

Oh, and it is customary in the Bay Islands to do your 100th dive naked. One of the DMs out there moved from Florida only a few months ago, so maybe he doesn't know this yet. Even still, the son may wish to keep that a secret until the diving is done :)

Oh, and it is customary in the Bay Islands to do your 100th dive naked. One of the DMs out there moved from Florida only a few months ago, so maybe he doesn't know this yet. Even still, the son may wish to keep that a secret until the diving is done :)

He actually did his 100th dive last month while in the Bahamas. The site we were on was a cool 70 degrees so he was fully suited with hood, 7mm and so on. Thanks for the perspective.

Back
Top Bottom