Farallon mk1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've got an old farallon mk1 I'm fixing up to play with, anybody got a recommendation for the best battery for it

Back in their day they used flooded lead acid batteries. And duh they leaded acid if they were tipped... So you want SLAs.

Do you have the carrier tray for the batteries? IIRC they OEM batteries fit pretty tight so you'll want the largest SLA possible that fit on the tray and then into the tube.

I'd try to put LiFE batteries in it. That thing would be awesome with some LiFE batteries.

Standard Powersonic PS-12180 work fine, but might still end up a bit negative in salt water. I tried some of the heavier 20-22ah batteries and it becames an anchor. Bigger is not better here even though run times will be shorter.

Standard Powersonic PS-12180 work fine, but might still end up a bit negative in salt water. I tried some of the heavier 20-22ah batteries and it becames an anchor. Bigger is not better here even though run times will be shorter.

Use lead accid batteries 21 amp hour, the older Farallons had buoyancy ishues teck diver used them stuff PVC tubes under them to give some lift either by stapping them dowm or attached to a sled bottom.

I have also just picked up on of the older Farallons (MKII) and it seems the 12v 18ah batteries do look best to work with these. What did you end up going with?
Does anyone know where I can get a manual for these, it seems parts and information are a bit hard to get since Farallon don't seem to be in business anymore?

I used 2 of the PS-12180 and it left me about 2 lbs positive in the pool, I wasn't able to get it out in the ocean yet as I have a small leak in the main o-ring seal. Does anyone know the size and source for this O-ring? I am also looking for a copy of the manual.

I used 2 of the PS-12180 and it left me about 2 lbs positive in the pool, I wasn't able to get it out in the ocean yet as I have a small leak in the main o-ring seal. Does anyone know the size and source for this O-ring? I am also looking for a copy of the manual.

The older MK 1, 2, 3, 44 5 and 6's all had buoyancy isssues that why most who had them in the early days of diving built sleds for them and attached foam or PVC tubes to the sled to help lift it off the bottom and correct the buoyancy problem. It wasn't until they made the Mk 7 and 8 with a larger body diameter that they addressed and improved the buoyancy issues. I suggest you caontact a guy name Rick Adams at DivingMachines.com he has a dozen or so of the older Farallons and I used to buy new drive shaft Pac seals from him as the one on your particular scooter is a special order and not a standard industry measurement Pac seal.

Hope this helps

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom