DG05 Discontinued?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

w1jp

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I am looking at tech computers and just heard that the DG05 is being discontinued. Are you replacing it with something else?

Stay away from that computer. It was a nightmare for me before I sent it back to Hollis for good. Buy a Shearwater. You won't be disappointed.

---------- Post added April 23rd, 2013 at 10:02 PM ----------

Here is the posting from East Coast Divers FB page: [h=5]"The Hollis DG05 204.2362 (OC/TX) and 204.2363 (CC/TX) have been discontinued. We have sold through our inventory and will not continue to offer these units. We will continue to offer support and customer service on any unit that was sold through Hollis.

The DG04 will be release later this spring and a replacement for the DG05 will be announced at DEMA 2013."
[/h]

Wow, this is making me re-think my almost-purchase of the DG05.
hmmm ... recalled ... hmmm

What is the exact reason for this, anyone know the details?

Perhaps Hollis Gear Nick can ring in here...

I always thought it was just a rebadged VRx and didn't really hear very positive things about it. The stats looked good on paper but when I took a closer look it didn't seem that easy to use.

Mine has been a nightmare from the first day and do yourself a favor and go with a liquivision or a shearwater. I've used two computers from hollis and really not liked both. DG03 babysat you like no other and some divers need that, but I thought the DG03 was aimed at a different style of diver... My DG05 on the first dive is WAY conservative, like VPM B/E+4 25/65 conservative, way too conservative for my profiles. On later dives in the day it is way to liberal for my liking. When charging you never know if its charged or not. The battery charge icon literally moves around all the time. However when in use the discharge is a steady rate. The ONLY thing I like about it is the run time in seconds because I wound up using it as an expensive bottom timer.

In what way did your DG03 baby sit you?

not to be a thread hijacker but on the 03 whenever you get near no deco time the flashing "HI NI UP" thing would get really old, especially when your profile was at 80 feet for 20 minutes and on the edge of deco then 60-40 feet for another 30 minutes and to still have HI NI UP flashing in my face, never mind the fact I had 35 minutes left at 50. Also the PP02 alarms going of .2 BEFORE your actual PP02 limit unless in deco. Yes I had all possible alarms off and silenced. It was easier to set it at 1.6 because id get an alarm at 1.4 no matter what. It was more annoying, also in gauge mode it would be handy if the it was minutes and seconds rather than just minutes. Just my 2 cents
GC

Received a little information to add regarding the future of the DG05 directly from Hollis Tech Support. Hollis has responded quickly with answers to all emails, great customer service for me anyway. Here's the email:
_________
To: Glenn Losee
Subject: Re: DG05

Hi again!
Have seen internet rumors that the DG05 is discontinued. Is this true? If so what is the reason and when will a new model be available for purchase?
_________
The DG05 is no longer in production. I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Glenn Losee
Technical Support
American Underwater Products
Oceanic / Hollis / Aeris / OceanPro / Lavacore
2002 Davis St.
San Leandro, CA. 94577
_________

Not much to add to what vascuba67 pointed out already, and curious of the computer they plan to unveil at DEMA 2013.
Liquivision, Shearwater & Heinrichs Weikamp, yes, all make nice units too.
I now have a nice feeling of closure on the DG05.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom