Question for Aqualung/Seaquest i3 owners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrSam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a quick question for all of you who own/have tried an i3 technology BC.
A buddy of mine and I did an underwater cleanup volunteer activity this morning. I finally had a chance to test out my new Pro QD i3. The previous owner included an Airsource inflator/integrated 2nd stage with the BC. I had planned on removing it and installing the standard inflator that comes standard with the i3 BC's (that rubber hose that you depress to deflate and inflate). I didn't have enough time so I left the Airsource on the BC.

I used the i3 system the entire day to deflate/inflate. On the way back to shore, I was asked by two other volunteers why I had a Airsource attached to an i3 BC. I mentioned that I didn't have time to remove it. One guy simply said "oh, okay" and walked away, while the other questioned me about having 2 inflators/deflators.

Is it strange to see a BC with the i3 inflator and another, separate inflator?

Also, is there anything wrong with having all of the ports on a 1st stage used up? I have 5 hoses sticking out of my first stage (inflator/air source, inflator/i3, SPG/Computer, 2nd stage, alternate).

I used the i3 system the entire day to deflate/inflate. On the way back to shore, I was asked by two other volunteers why I had a Airsource attached to an i3 BC. I mentioned that I didn't have time to remove it. One guy simply said "oh, okay" and walked away, while the other questioned me about having 2 inflators/deflators.

Is it strange to see a BC with the i3 inflator and another, separate inflator?

Also, is there anything wrong with having all of the ports on a 1st stage used up? I have 5 hoses sticking out of my first stage (inflator/air source, inflator/i3, SPG/Computer, 2nd stage, alternate).

GOPR3730.jpg
Hi Sam,

I have the Aqualung Dimension i3, I attached a larger version of my avatar so you can see that I am wearing an i3. I haven't stayed up to date with what they are doing nowadays with the i3 but I did a quick web search of your BC so I know what you are talking about. Great looking BC by the way :wink:.

There's nothing really wrong with the air source but personally, I wouldn't do it. The i3 is a phenomenal BC in that it is extremely streamline. The main technology behind the i3 was to eliminate the annoying inflator hose and have it easily accessible on your lower left jacket. For me, I did not like having to fiddle around trying to find the hose and hold it up to release air. The main reason to have the air source hose is for people to want have a more streamlined alternate. Especially with the i3, we have that great hose pouch to keep that safe second streamline. I prefer having the longer hose because if I am in that unlikely situation, I have more hose in between me and my dive buddy - easier to ascend. It just seems to me like it defeats the purpose of having the i3. But I think it is worth mentioning that I have dove with a couple instructors and they use the air source hose on their "fun diving" BCs (not teaching) because they hate dealing with that extra hose. Just another preference.

And to answer your second question, no there is nothing wrong with using all your pressure ports on the 1st stage -thats what they are there for.

But no matter what I say or what anyone else tells you, your decision should ultimately come down to your own personal preference and comfort. I mean if you have it already, might as well keep it? I hope this helps. Please feel free to send me a personal message if there is anything else I can do to help you. Happy safe diving! :)

-Tyler

Thanks so much Tyler. That is the mindset I am assuming that the creators of the i3 had. I am with you in respect to the whole "fiddling around to find the hose" thing. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to deflate my BC prior to ascending, only to find out that no air was being released; I suppose that's what happens when you grab your snorkel instead of your inflator hose!
Sending you a pm now with another question, but for anyone else reading I am curious, what length hose do you use to connect to your i3? I know it has to be longer than the standard 22" that many divers use. I am uncertain as to how long mine was, I recall it being too short and someone on the boat pointing it out. Luckily while I was suiting up, they were kind enough to switch out my hose with one of theres, which I gladly returned shortly after the dive.

I just purchased an AL Dimension i3, not because I wanted to, my shop required it as part of "the uniform." I usually dive my beloved Zeagle Stiletto with an Atomic SS1 safe second.

Anyway, I bought the Dimension i3 and installed an Aqualung Airsource. After 2 dives, I hate it. In fact, I'm not very thrilled with the Dimension i3 either because I kept inflating the BC whenever my arm accidentally hit the i3 inflator lever. The first thing I plan on doing is removing the AL Airsourse and reinstalling that weird little inflator hose and a regular octo.

I hope to learn to love the i3 otherwise it will become an expensive dust collector.

Last edited:
I just purchased an AL Dimension i3, not because I wanted to, my shop required it as part of "the uniform." I usually dive my beloved Zeagle Stiletto with an Atomic SS1 safe second.
I have to ask - is the shop's 'uniform' requirement specifically the Dimension i3, or simply an Aqualung BCD?

Dimension i3 or Axiom i3. My Zeagle Stiletto is a back inflate so I chose with the Dimension. The one thing I do like about the Dimension so far is the "Wrapture System." I could really tell a positive difference in the way the tank felt on my back.

I thought I would have the same issue as well with the pro qd. I haven't really put it through extensive testing but plan on it soon. Typically my arms are by my side so hopefully this doesn't become an issue. Guess ill just have to get used to the "hug" position if it does.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom