Good dive shop in St. John USVI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

norinori

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone have recommendations for a good dive shop in St John USVI ?

I'm staying in Coral Bay, but anywhere on the island would be fine.

I used Low Key watersports a few yrs ago and was generally satisfied with their service and boats. I was there in Feb and essentially they only dove between St Thomas and St John. That is rather boring diving overall, in my opinion. In summer, I believe they go to better spots when the ocean is calmer. They claimed to, at least.
Divers on our boats were generally beginners, families with kids. On all but the Rhone dive, I had the only camera. Dives were never more than 50 ft and we were kept to 50 min. I would have been upset with that schedule if the diving was better but 50 was enough.
Diving the Rhone is definitely worth the effort. They only do it once per week, if they get enough people signed up. I would sign up with any shop going, just to make certain you get it at least once.
No other dive shop was running boats when I was there, which I found rather surprising.

Thanks I'll check them out. Rhone looks interesting, I never dove a wreck b4...

It's actually one of the better wrecks for a first wreck dive. I'm not a big wreck diver - but I liked it.

It's two dives, the front is where they filmed parts of "The Deep" - the scene where Jacqueline Bisset shoots out of the hold - that was there. It's an easily penetrable bow section with a lot of openings to both sides to clear water. They take o/w divers thru there daily so it's pretty safe.

The 2nd dive is the back, when the water hit the boilers it exploded and broke in two. I actually liked it better, there's a lot of interesting wreckage left. Big driveshaft/transmission house, portholes, there's a silver spoon welded to the deck in one spot.

Lots of wreck structure left and as you work your way towards the back you can swim between the 15' tall prop and the rudder. Also drop down on the sides - in some areas you can get slightly underneath it. The back is not fully penetrable though as it's collapsed on itself somewhat. Both ends are 70' or less so it's a long dive. Bring your passport - its' off Salt Cay in the BVI's.

From St. John one of the best dives is probably Carval Rock - if conditions are good. If you get blown off it, they'll may try Congo Cay - another decent site. Both might be considered "advanced" - usually there's some current.

Cruz Bay Watersports is one I've heard of - no exp. with. Cruz Bay Watersports - Scuba Diving Programs We dove with operators on St. Thomas or from the BVI side.

Thanks, those sound interesting, but might not be able to try them yet as my wife is just getting certified and won't be able to do these more advanced dives.

When are you going to St. John? I live here and can give some suggestions if still interested.

John

I'm going to be there in july. Would love to hear any suggestions.

When are you going to St. John? I live here and can give some suggestions if still interested.

John

I'm going to be there in 2 wks. What's the best dive company to go with? I'm a novice and would like to go with someone who will take their time and not rush.

"It's two dives, the front is where they filmed parts of "The Deep" - the scene where Jacqueline Bisset shoots out of the hold - that was there." - Moderator

I've just returned from Bermuda and dove "South West Breaker", and was told that it was here that most of
the scene's from "The Deep" was filmed. Not that it really matter's, but I'd like to know which it was...
"South West Breaker" is only about 35 feet at most, while the "Rhone" is a much deeper. Seems more difficult to film back in 1977. Was told that the film might have been based upon "The Rhone", but filmed in Bermuda!
Any idea?

John

Next month. Any advice is appreciated. My daughter and I will be diving. Outside of our cert dives, we have only done two dives in Key Largo about a year or so ago. She has basic and I have completed the rescue cert. When I was in St. Thomas last (before getting certified) I stopped in the dive shop at Bolongo Bay and chatted with them so they are an option but we are staying on St. John so I was thinking about Cruz Bay Watersports. What are your toughts? All are appreciated.

J.R

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom