Rear mounted pouch options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mulla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

Thinking of getting a rear mounted pouch for my accessories rather than keeping them in my DS pocket. It gets a little hard to access at times, especially with 2 tanks either side.

What's everyone using for their rear mounted pouch? I saw a Razor one online but it was a bit rich, hoping if there's a budget alternative elsewhere?

Thanks heaps in advance.

How about a Highland liftbag sleeve. I used one in Coz on my single sm kit. Liftbag, fingers pool, scissors, and subtalert. Worked great.

If you have a velcro flap on the rear thigh-mounted DS pocket, put only ONE thing in it, then secure the flap with just one corner so that a single finger (even in a coldwater glove) will catch the curve of the flap. Pull up, jam your hand in and get your spare mask...

The Dive Rite horizontal accessory bellows pocket, shown here, works if you don't need the volume of the Razor pocket. There are loops on the back to attach small boltsnaps with caveline. If you want to bring along a spare mask, though, the Razor pocket is the ticket.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the input, all valuable ideas.

Seen photos of it, the part on tank mount looks interesting. Tho it could be a little bit of a pain as I have to attach it each time as tank racks on our boats won't accommodate extra bulge on tanks. Where exactly would you position this pouch on your thigh? At the sides would probably defeat the purpose tho?

How about a Highland liftbag sleeve. I used one in Coz on my single sm kit. Liftbag, fingers pool, scissors, and subtalert. Worked great.

How is it mounted? On the tank? Can you provide a link to one you are using? Just wanted to check out sizing.

If you have a velcro flap on the rear thigh-mounted DS pocket, put only ONE thing in it, then secure the flap with just one corner so that a single finger (even in a coldwater glove) will catch the curve of the flap. Pull up, jam your hand in and get your spare mask...

I do want to have several items in it, I guess I won't mind "deploying" this pouch each time I need to access stuff.

The Dive Rite horizontal accessory bellows pocket, shown here, works if you don't need the volume of the Razor pocket. There are loops on the back to attach small boltsnaps with caveline. If you want to bring along a spare mask, though, the Razor pocket is the ticket.

I did have my eye on the bellows pocket. So from what you are saying, if I wanted to fit spare mask / DSMB / finger spool / wet notes in this pouch, razor would be the only option? Anyone have the dimensions of the razor pouch? Wasn't specified on their website.

Might go to an outdoors shop and see if they have similar sized alternatives.

The working size of the Highland pouch is 12" x 6". But it's not to deep. I attach mine with 2 double enders through the eyes to my drop points on the back of my waist strap. It's easy to unclip and pull out front and get what you want and clip it back in where you want. HP sent me some photos of the Razor pouch, with an ipad fitting on the inside, so 10" x 8". And it expands like a suitcase by undoing a circumferential zipper. So it gets much deeper.

The razor bag is a bit expensive for something that is not that well put together.

I use a pouch from 5'11 tactical. It survived the rigors of afghanistan so def well built. Since it is molle pouch, lots of options for where to put the bolt snaps to attach. I used quick links to attach bolt snaps in a spot which was useful to me and removed the slickstick attachments.

Here is a link to them:
5.11 Tactical 10.6 Horizontal Pouch | Official 5.11 Site

The Razor is about 10.5" x 7.5", and when fully expanded, is over 3" deep. It has a flat mesh pocket on the back which will easily hold a binder of wet notes.

Last edited:
Thanks FoxHound & rongoodman. The Tactical 10.6 is very similar sized to the razor then. Tactical might be the way to go granted it's half the cost of the Razor, guess all depends on shipping costs.

FoxHound - I gather there's nothing "inside" the pouch for you to clip things off?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom