Maldives late September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scarke

Contributor
Reaction score
We are thinking of going to the Maldives in September...we are flexible on dates at the moment. We have dived in the Red Sea and also in Malaysia but fancy going to the Maldives.

We would want to do a land based holiday as I only snorkel and swim and would rather have the facilities of a hotel.

We have no idea where to start except that perhaps a hotel close to the main airport so we dont have to get a sea plane ? Keep hearing of these long waits for sea planes and we would prob only go for 10 days so dont want to waste much time hanging around.

Do the big 5 star hotels have their own dive centers ? Anyone know ones that are professional and well run ?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated !

Start your research around Male (int airport). There are plenty of different resorts which can be reached by speedboat. Also consider Maafushi which has many small guesthouses and a diving center. However Maafushi is a 'local island' with restrictions on alcohol, women's swimwear etc. due to the Islamic law of the Maldives (100% Muslim).

Resorts have their own rules as they are zoned as 'non-residential' islands. You many find some interesting prices in September on some resorts. The seaplanes aren't so bad in low season.... however they are still pretty bad at organisation year round :)

My wife and I spent a week at Kurumba last year and loved it. Beautiful resort, wonderful staff, and a great place to relax and unwind. It's about a 10-15 minute boat ride from the airport. Their dive center is run by Euro Divers and offers dives every morning and afternoon, and a night dive when they get enough people to sign up. They'll also let you use a tank and dive along the house reef whenever you feel like it.

Thanks for the info...will check out Kurumba...with so many islands and resorts its hard to know where to start...re rules on the individual resorts....do many of them restrict alcohol ? not that we drink that much but would like to have some wine in the evenings and such....when you say restrictions on womens swim wear ? what exactly do you mean ? I know the general rules about long skirts and sleeves etc...

Thanks again !

There are no restrictions (alcohol, bikini wear etc...) on resorts as they are not considered as a residential area. Kurumba is a resort and you can pretty much do want you want in a resort.

The restrictions on alcohol and bikini apply only on local islands, such as our or Male or Maafushi for exemple.

Dear scarke,
Well, if you like to stay a quiet small guest house "VENTURO" at Maafushi island. May be I can help you to make your dream holiday as much as I can.
Please contact me here as well as info@venturomaldives.com. In 3 month's time we will have our new diving school ready to serve you.

Sunny side of life
Maldives Shark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom