Back to the crud

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Merry and I made our first dive since returning from a grueling eleven days in warm water. Visibility on the Redondo Beach Artificial Reef was about two feet in brown water. I planned to try for some photos of the tiny Doto kya nudibranchs laying eggs with my new diopter, but I was lucky to get one shot in the pudding.

Visibility was slightly better above thirty feet. There were tons of sea butterflies, Corolla spectabilis and a few Fried Egg jellies, Phacellophora camtschatica. Near the end of the dive, a Lion's Mane nudibranch, Melibe leonina came swimming by. It made up for one of the worst dives of the year.

RedondoBarge1-6_zps193e86d2.jpg

Doto kya

RedondoBarge2-5_zpsd05b3b4b.jpg

RedondoBarge3-6_zpsa2f4ee48.jpg

RedondoBarge4-3_zps394fedce.jpg

Phacellophora camtschatica

RedondoBarge5-5_zpse619dc83.jpg

Melibe lionina

Welcome back to the "cold water" and reduced VIS.
Checked out OML on Saturday, foggy and cold in the morning, VIS looked, well not good.
Decided to pass on OML today as it again looked foggy on that side, but at Vets there were reports of 15' VIS.
I wonder how Dr. Bill is doing in Anailo.

Having taken a lot of egg yolk jelly photos myself, I confess myself awed by the detail and the exquisite lighting on the third jelly shot. I've never noticed the dimples in the bell before. Well done!

I'd never seen that before either. The ones we saw today were juveniles, about four inches across. I wish we had better visibility. I saw the transparent fish in the second jelly shot, but couldn't get a decent shot of it. We had two feet vis on the bottom and less than five feet near the surface, but the water was filed with kibbles and bits.

I am fascinated with the Lion's Mane nudie. The way the hood is opening and closing, it reminds me of the balleen whales filtering for food.

I went out last night to Vets, and the Viz was horrible and eww! What what the heck was all that in the water :(

The final Fried Egg jelly capture and Lion nudi shot are stunning.

I'm back in town for a couple weeks before shipping out on my first assignment "Theodore Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota".

Scouted the coast today for decent conditions. At Honeymoon Cove a free diver coming up the trail told me he encountered a trio of Soupfin sharks in the outer kelp bed in 45-50ft. He reported 40ft of vis, but I am a bit skeptical it would hold up to MaxBottomtime's patented visibility measurement system.:wink:

If conditions keep, Charlie and I are going to try and get wet there this Sunday.

I go by what I can see clearly. If I see a shadowy figure in the distance, I don't consider that part of the vis. Most divers are about six feet long with fins, so I usually count body lengths. If the vis is better than two body lengths I'll give it 12-15 feet. I see others report 30'+ when it's barely two body lengths.

Back
Top Bottom