N-19 Battery Explosion/Leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

betti154

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've got a n-19 that appears to have had some kind of battery coronary. It looks like acid has gone splat inside the casing, and also the casing appears to have exploded out. The oring seal is exposed also so I can only assuming some major pressure was inside the case.

From a fresh charge I ran it down in a bucket, getting 313whr on speed 6 out of the battery before the protection circuit tripped. The battery seemed very hot around the area with the leak crack too, much more so than the other side. Voltage appears ok.

I'm guessing the whole battery is cactus, just looking for confirmation.

Kind regards, ds

You can't just replace the exploded cells, the cells need to be matched with one another. So you can recycle the guts now...

You can't just replace the exploded cells, the cells need to be matched with one another. So you can recycle the guts now...

Thanks, I thought as much. I think I'll look into a lithium DIY job.

A pic of the pack is below, I've not yet pulled it out of the casing.

Thanks, ds

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1366667417.329754.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1366667417.329754.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 171
If you have to ask the internet if your leaking NiMH pack is salvagable, I don't think you want to be DIYing a Lithium pack. Not unless you want to burn down your house. There's A LOT more to lithium pack design and balancing, especially large packs, than just soldering up some cells. Witness the current Boeing 787 Dreamliner battery fires.

Hi guys,

I've got a n-19 that appears to have had some kind of battery coronary. It looks like acid has gone splat inside the casing, and also the casing appears to have exploded out. The oring seal is exposed also so I can only assuming some major pressure was inside the case.

From a fresh charge I ran it down in a bucket, getting 313whr on speed 6 out of the battery before the protection circuit tripped. The battery seemed very hot around the area with the leak crack too, much more so than the other side. Voltage appears ok.

I'm guessing the whole battery is cactus, just looking for confirmation.

Kind regards, ds

The electrolyte in NiMh cells is caustic, not acidic, think lye. "Electrolyte Creep" in NiMh cells is usually the result of long term deep discharge, but overheated cells can spew too.

It's toast.

Tobin

The electrolyte in NiMh cells is caustic, not acidic, think lye. "Electrolyte Creep" in NiMh cells is usually the result of long term deep discharge, but overheated cells can spew too.

It's toast.

Tobin

Thanks Tobin, that's what I was looking for.

Kind regards, Damien

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom