Real fat guy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could get a similar BC, which is known as a back plate and wing, from a different manufacturer for half that price. Look at HOG, DSS, Dive Rite, etc. What you see there is a steel plate that can be had for less than $100.00. A Harness for under 75, and a wing for less than 300 that would be every bit as good as that one.

Yes, that would work well because it is a backplate and wing setup for someone of your size. In case the other posts aren't clear, the item you are looking at is a backplate/wing/harness setup. You are paying for the name and convenience of having it all prepackaged/preassembled though.

If you wanted to piece it out as Jim suggests, you could do this:

Backplates: Dive-Rite Stainless Steel Back-Plate or Manta Stainless Steel Back-Plate

Harness: OMS One Piece Harness System #BP-166 or Manta HR-2 One Piece Harness

Comparable Wing: HOLLIS C-Series 360 Wings or Hollis C LX Wing

If you want to dive a single cylinder, you'd want something like this: Dive-Rite Stainless Steel Single Tank Adapter (STA) or Hollis Stainless Single Cylinder Mounting Plate with Bolts & Delrin Cam Band

If you go single, you'll probably want a smaller wing because the previous ones would be an overkill.

If you have any other questions or would like help with a custom package, let me know :)

Last edited:
A backplate and harness system is ideal for someone your size, because it's infinitely adjustable.

Single tank setups from Deep Sea Supply start at $460. You might want to give them a call, because Tobin can tell you whether you would be better served with their larger plate -- I'm not sure what the height cutoff for that is. DSS is a well-established and reputable company that makes excellent quality goods and has fantastic customer service. And you can spend the $250 you save on some charter boats!

Good to know. You guys saved me a bundle!
Although, I tend to go overboard in everything I do.... ( pun intended ).

With the bp/w what is done for weights?

Weight belt, weight harness or any number of bolt on - clip on options. Some are pockets, some just bolt on. Here's a typical option from DSS: https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=118 but there's many other options. Some backplates require a single tank adapter which can be made of lighter/heavier materials.

Also plates come standard in both aluminum or stainless steel. IIRC there's a couple pound difference.

But once you get it dialed in - you may not need any extra weight for your normal configuration. Depends on how much neoprene you have to compensate for. And how naturally buoyant you are.

One nice thing about a bp/w is that you're not compensating for the inherent positive buoyancy of most traditional BC's - all those pockets/padding etc. float.

If you're interested in DSS - Tobin has his own forum here. He's cool_hardware52. I don't dive a bp/w but if I did he'd be my choice also.

Last edited:
Subscribing. As a new guy and as a big guy, this is right up my alley. I don't think I've ever taken this many notes from a forum thread before. :)

Agree with others 100% a back plate would likely be a very good option due to reasons already stated. I had the opposite problem I'm a very small guy and found a BP/W fitted me better than any BC I had used. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom