The negatives of bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbarnett51

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I knowI know. There are a thousand threads on bp/w. However, most of them are pointing out the advantages of that system. I am an avid diver but recreation only. I currently have an AquaLung Dimension i3 that I really love. However, I am considering switching for a few reasons. First I am a bigger guy 6'1 250 and this BC adds a lot of bulk. I would like to streamline. I also want to simplify things. Lastly, nobody seems to know how to work the i3 system when I am pairing up with a buddy on the boat. I will probably buy the HOG system as I have switched to their regs and liked the service and the product.

So I understand the good things associated with BP/W. But what will I be giving up? Comfort? Convenience? Anything?

Thanks in advance for putting up with another BP/W.

My conversion to the dark side was a year ago. For all of the important reasons, I'm happy with the choice?

I do miss pockets. I originally bought a pouch to put on my webbing but it was crud and didn't last but a couple months. I should try again. Haven't tried the wetsuit shorts cause they cost $$$ and I'm a little big for them I think. Haven't done glue on pockets cause I have 2 wetsuits and everyone I know who has done this has had problems with them coming off over time.

Out of the water, all the webbing is a little sloppy. Once I'm wearing it, it rocks.

Maybe I miss my pull dump a little. :) I don't really need it though and I understand the concern.

Trying to think if there's anything else.

I dislike the way it does not support me high and dry on the surface. The harness is harder to get in and out of, but you can add quick release clips if you like. I pretty much hate the crotch strap and it interferes with a weightbelt ditching and slows you down getting in the the rig. The lack of pockets means you may have to buy extra additional pockets.. a drawback for sure.. The inability to instantly adjust the harness to fit different exposure suits, unless you modify the harness to allow it to slide.. Other than those issues, they seem fine. I haven't used my BP/W for over a year now.. went back to a normal BC...My son tried one and loves his.. even with the crotch strap..

I dislike the way it does not support me high and dry on the surface. The harness is harder to get in and out of, but you can add quick release clips if you like. I pretty much hate the crotch strap and it interferes with a weightbelt ditching and slows you down getting in the the rig. The lack of pockets means you may have to buy extra additional pockets.. a drawback for sure.. The inability to instantly adjust the harness to fit different exposure suits, unless you modify the harness to allow it to slide.. Other than those issues, they seem fine. I haven't used my BP/W for over a year now.. went back to a normal BC...My son tried one and loves his.. even with the crotch strap..

This is concerning to me. I lake dive and might be in a 3mil shorty spearfishing one day and a 7m suit diving deep the next. I would need it to be easily adjustable. I was under the impression it would be. Thanks!

This is concerning to me. I lake dive and might be in a 3mil shorty spearfishing one day and a 7m suit diving deep the next. I would need it to be easily adjustable. I was under the impression it would be. Thanks!

I dive a 3mil and a 7mil. It's not an issue. I use nailpolish to mark the webbing on the triglide the right positions and just quickly slide it back and forth.

I don't have any problems getting in and out of my rig including the crotch strap. If hardly ever need a weight belt but when I do I wear it under the webbing and put weights in pockets. Dump the weight not the belt.

My conversion is in progress, and I couldn't be happier. More streamlined, less bulky, etc. I don't have an issue with adjustability, but if it's something that's of concern to you, this might be a consideration: https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1340

A real pain in the butt, but like I said you can buy plastic clips like a BC has, or you can buy a harness that allows the waist strap to slide. Halcyon makes them, but I made my own out of some scraps about 3-4 years before they came out with it.. People get fanatical about this stuff.....

---------- Post added April 24th, 2013 at 06:56 PM ----------

My conversion is in progress, and I couldn't be happier. More streamlined, less bulky, etc. I don't have an issue with adjustability, but if it's something that's of concern to you, this might be a consideration: https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1340

Seems expensive.. but that should address the adjustability issue AND make it easier to get in and out of...Of course he was asking about the negatives.. not all the positive factors..

I have the DSS Glide Harness adapter and it does not provide a fully "adjustable harness" so I can switch between a 3mm and a bulky dry suit in an instant. I do have to adjust the opposite side to loosen or tighten the shoulder straps. It is designed to
extend or tighten one shoulder strap on a single piece harness for donning or doffing. Some manufacturer's ad a quick-release on one side for similar purpose. I am not sure what the result of installing one on each side would be though...

Instead of asking all of the Internet divers out there why don't you borrow a rig and dive it a few times. I've strapped people in mine and taken them diving on several occasions. So far only one decided it wasn't for him.

I really have no negatives. I could see the pocket issue, but 99.9% of my diving is in a drysuit with pockets on each thigh. Adjustability is not a pain. You adjust the webbing from the lower section to expand the shoulder straps. It's simple.

Again. I'd suggest you find someone local with a setup you could try in a controlled environment and make your own judgement.

---------- Post added April 24th, 2013 at 08:11 PM ----------

I have the DSS Glide Harness adapter and it does not provide a fully "adjustable harness" so I can switch between a 3mm and a bulky dry suit in an instant. I do have to adjust the opposite side to loosen or tighten the shoulder straps. It is designed to
extend or tighten one shoulder strap on a single piece harness for donning or doffing. Some manufacturer's ad a quick-release on one side for similar purpose. I am not sure what the result of installing one on each side would be though...

Per Tobin's site and video adding a glide harness in each side is not advised.

One negative is you need to purchase a new BC when you already own one you like and are used to. :wink:

Having said that I am glad I switched, and my gf, who is as far from tech as one can get, also switched to a BP/W because of the way she can fit it snugly with any, or no thermo protection. For her, the crotch strap is a big bonus, as it stabilizes everything in a way that her old BCD never could.

It does not keep you upright, with your head high on the surface, if you over inflate, as a BCD would, but that is just a minor adjustment you can overcome.

Going to the rear dump valve for all assent and descent was a significant change, but once I saw it's purpose and the control it gives me I became an instant fan. again, it was only a minor adjustment, bbut it made a huge difference in control in the water column that you have to experience to really appreciate.

And pockets, I do miss pockets, but again there are other ways you can add pockets you can want or need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom