Fantasy Island, Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mainer04270

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is the second time we have been to Fantasy Island. The first time was a few years ago, and we were very happy, even though it's not a 5 star resort. We went to dive and it was really good diving. So, we went back this month, and oh, how things have changed. First off, they didn't pick us up from the airport, even though two different locals called about 45 minutes apart. All the other travelers were gone and just my husband stood outside. Since we'd already paid for airport transfers, I wasn't going to pay for a taxi. A family, who lives in MA and is fixing up a home on Roatan, was at the airport, and they took us to Fantasy Island. When I confronted the manager at FI, she said we were a no show. What?!?!? I was standing right in front of her, for God's sake. She showed me a sheet of names on it, that did have our names listed, as coming in at 12:15. Our flight, from Houston didn't leave until 1:06. I told her that, and even though she had wrong info, she still called us no shows. I asked her to explain why she didn't send the bus, when the resort got two calls from the airport, saying we were waiting, and she just said we were a no show. DUH! No sense continuing that, with her. Next, we checked in, no help with luggage, and we were on the second floor. I discovered there was no hot water, in the shower, but had it in the sink. Reported it..."We'll fix it right away." No fix. Next day, no hot water. Reported it..."We'll fix it." No fix. Next day, the same. Finally I had to go face to face with the manager, again. She said, "We'll fix it." T told her she knew just as well as I did, that it would not be fixed. So, she said, she would check to see which rooms were empty and we would HUNT for a room that had hot water. I just looked at her and said, "Excuse me? We're going to HUNT for a room with hot water?!?" She casually said "Yes." I couldn't believe my ears. Did find a room with hot water, a working air conditioner and a patio door that locked, since the room was on the first floor. On that Tuesday, I was finally happy, because I had hot water to take a shower! The food was good, but not many choices and hardly any chocolate desserts! Free drinks at the bar was a plus. Not all drinks, but beer and a long list of tropical drinks were free. Free Wi-Fi, but only in the office/bar area, and there was a computer set up for those who didn't have their own.
The dive operation was outstanding. Great locking drying shed. We did have to set up our own gear, but that's not a problem for us. Pedro and Miguel were absolutely wonderful. It was very choppy, and Miguel and Pedro worked their butts off to make sure we got back on the boat without getting hurt. The waves were 4-6 feet. Even though the waves were high, there were no currents, to speak of, at depth. We saw a wide variety of critters. No sharks, but eagles rays, turtles, toad fish, several sea horses of different colors, many big green morays, French, gray and queen angel fish, spotted drums, a nice little wreck, called Mr. Bud, and few lionfish, because they are keeping right on top of killing them. I was not disappointed with the diving, as I was in November, in Bonaire. Roatan diving blew Bonaire right out of the water! Pardon the pun. The water was only about 73, so a 3mm wetsuit was needed. There was also free shore diving. For those who like to beach it, they have a very nice, sandy beach, as well as a pool. I saw many people snorkeling right in front of the resort. I didn't, so don't really know if there was anything to see.

Sounds typically hit-or-miss Fantasy Island. Glad you got the room fixed and the rest was good. It's such a nice property with such a questionable history. It's shame that none of the owners over the years can make it work well consistently.

Very similar to the experience we had last December. The diving diving was great, the hotel was a dump.

For the money there are much better places to stay and dive on the island than FI.

This is the second time we have been to Fantasy Island. The first time was a few years ago, and we were very happy, even though it's not a 5 star resort. We went to dive and it was really good diving. So, we went back this month, and oh, how things have changed. First off, they didn't pick us up from the airport, even though two different locals called about 45 minutes apart. All the other travelers were gone and just my husband stood outside. Since we'd already paid for airport transfers, I wasn't going to pay for a taxi. A family, who lives in MA and is fixing up a home on Roatan, was at the airport, and they took us to Fantasy Island. When I confronted the manager at FI, she said we were a no show. What?!?!? I was standing right in front of her, for God's sake. She showed me a sheet of names on it, that did have our names listed, as coming in at 12:15. Our flight, from Houston didn't leave until 1:06. I told her that, and even though she had wrong info, she still called us no shows. I asked her to explain why she didn't send the bus, when the resort got two calls from the airport, saying we were waiting, and she just said we were a no show. DUH! No sense continuing that, with her. Next, we checked in, no help with luggage, and we were on the second floor.
I discovered there was no hot water, in the shower, but had it in the sink. Reported it..."We'll fix it right away." No fix. Next day, no hot water. Reported it..."We'll
If it was in the sink,how could it not be in the shower? Crazy plumbing there. Maybe wrong faucet was turned on?
Thats awful about them not picking you up at the airport.Perhaps they were at the airport at the assigned time that your travel agent told them you would be arriving.Did you or you travel agent advise them of the correct arrival time? Or was the flight late? To send out the bus for 2 people is probably not economical for them. They should have advised you to take a taxi at that point. .As for the diving, as I understand, the dive op crew really tries to make your stay enjoyable..Food is what it is..

fix it." No fix. Next day, the same. Finally I had to go face to face with the manager, again. She said, "We'll fix it." T told her she knew just as well as I did, that it would not be fixed. So, she said, she would check to see which rooms were empty and we would HUNT for a room that had hot water. I just looked at her and said, "Excuse me? We're going to HUNT for a room with hot water?!?" She casually said "Yes." I couldn't believe my ears. Did find a room with hot water, a working air conditioner and a patio door that locked, since the room was on the first floor On that Tuesday, I was finally happy, because I had hot water to take a shower
!

Absolutely NO EXCUSE for them to get you a proper room sooner!

The food was good, but not many choices and hardly any chocolate desserts! Free drinks at the bar was a plus. Not all drinks, but beer and a long list of tropical drinks were free. Free Wi-Fi, but only in the office/bar area, and there was a computer set up for those who didn't have their own.
I can understand that the Wi-Fi can be an issue..It is a 3rd world country.But ,hey,you are on vacation, just use it at the bar area..

The dive operation was outstanding. Great locking drying shed. We did have to set up our own gear, but that's not a problem for us. Pedro and Miguel were absolutely wonderful. It was very choppy, and Miguel and Pedro worked their butts off to make sure we got back on the boat without getting hurt. The waves were 4-6 feet. Even though the waves were high, there were no currents, to speak of, at depth. We saw a wide variety of critters. No sharks, but eagles rays, turtles, toad fish, several sea horses of different colors, many big green morays, French, gray and queen angel fish, spotted drums, a nice little wreck, called Mr. Bud, and few lionfish, because they are keeping right on top of killing them. I was not disappointed with the diving, as I was in November, in Bonaire. Roatan diving blew Bonaire right out of the water! Pardon the pun. The water was only about 73, so a 3mm wetsuit was needed. There was also free shore diving. For those who like to beach it, they have a very nice, sandy beach, as well as a pool. I saw many people snorkeling right in front of the resort. I didn't, so don't really know if there was anything to see.

Thanks for your report on FI..I am there with a group that I am leading this coming weekend. I have 20 people with me and now I know what to look out for.I alrady requested rooms in the 100-200 range near the office..I will have my people inspect their room BEFORE they transport their bags there!
As for the food, you said it was ok, just not varied. so no one will starve..You report that the dive op was outstanding..What did you do as tips for them? I was thinking $75. per diver to the boat crew for the week,as I understand we will be assigned the same boat/crew every day.

Thanks for the report, we were all hoping for a comeback. Your report is typical, though. The excellent dive crew saves their reputations so many times. Lately, during Easter Week they had all their rooms booked, but only had 8 or so divers in total.

I will say though, there is no way it was 72° water temp- last week was 79-82°. And yes- there is lots to see right on front of he resort. Hard to imagine they didn't do an orientation shore dive and show you the intact ship wreck and DC3 debris.

Thanks for the report, we were all hoping for a comeback. Your report is typical, though. The excellent dive crew saves their reputations so many times. Lately, during Easter Week they had all their rooms booked, but only had 8 or so divers in total.

I will say though, there is no way it was 72° water temp- last week was 79-82°. And yes- there is lots to see right on front of he resort. Hard to imagine they didn't do an orientation shore dive and show you the intact ship wreck and DC3 debris.

I thought the water temp op stated was off..almost started to pack my 5mm instead of the 3mm suit :wink: Will be there this Saturday. Our first choice was cocoview, as I have stayed there many times before, but I needed space for 20 guests and at the time I tried there was only 4 rooms available :(

Oly5050, was glad to see your explanation as to why Fantasy Island chosen for your group trip. :)

As for tip . . .how many boat dives do you expect to be taking? My rec for tips is always minimum $5/tank..so assuming 15 boat dives you're in the right range IMO.

Oly5050, was glad to see your explanation as to why Fantasy Island chosen for your group trip. :)

As for tip . . .how many boat dives do you expect to be taking? My rec for tips is always minimum $5/tank..so assuming 15 boat dives you're in the right range IMO.
Boat goes out 3 times a day..only fair to tip same amount if out 2 or 3 times per day..I most likely will collect tip from everyone in group and hand to crew..More impressive to them that way..

More impressive and more likely to ensure everyone tips the amount you've recommended to your group. Any of your group that feels they'd like to tip ^more^ should be told free to present those additional tips separately to the crew.

Reactions: Doc
Things that make your brain go: "huh?"

I don't put much stock in Trip Advisor, at least in terms of actual SCUBA versus hotel accommodations.

I took a look at TA and was absolutely amazed at the incredibly high volume of recent reports on FIBR. Any recent guests: were they asking you to post reports?

Seems that many people on TA who were there recently, even the same time as our OP here on SB... They seem to have had Mr. Rorque as their Concierge and Tattoo as a cabin boy.

Two totally different experiences.

Scuba divers seem to post on Scuba Board. I really can't figure out who is on TA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom