5505.46, to short for 105vr af-s, with dry diopter ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_dragon_no1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone know ??

using ikelite housing offcourse, and D3200 camera.

Thanks

Ronni B

Anyone know ??

using ikelite housing offcourse, and D3200 camera.

Thanks

Ronni B

Ronni,

There are always slight tolerance variances, so you will have to take measurements to know for sure. If it is going to be close, you can protect the inside of the port acrylic by placing masking tape around the top of the installed diopter; then place a little lubricant on the tape. If any lube gets on the inside of the port acrylic when you attempt to attach the port, then the port is to short to accommodate the diopter. Gently wipe the lube off the port acrylic with a soft non-abrasive lens cloth.

To check this, first measure the fully extended lens length with diopter attached, from the lens mounting point.

Next, measure inside the port from the acrylic to the end of the port base; add 1/2" to this number (be careful not to scratch the port acrylic). If the total is more than the lens measurement , then the lens/diopter combination will probably fit.

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

If i had the port and the diopter i could just try.!
But i don't.. i only have the 105 lens & housing.

Thats kinda why im asking.
So that i dont end up with the wrong port..

Sendt fra Samsung Galaxy S2, via Tapatalk forum app.

If i had the port and the diopter i could just try.!
But i don't.. i only have the 105 lens & housing.

Thats kinda why im asking.
So that i dont end up with the wrong port..

Ronni,

Based on my calculations, you will only have between .21" and .27" of clearance between the lens and port acrylic WITHOUT a diopter attached. Most diopters are .25" or longer, so based on these numbers, I do not think there is adequate space for a diopter to be stacked onto the 105 VR lens when using a 5505.46 port. Other standard ports cannot be used because the 5505.46 port is machined specifically to allow room for the switches at the base of the 105 VR lens. My advice would be to consider the modular flat port 5510.35 + port body 5510.28 : MODULAR PORT SYSTEM.

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

okey, thanks... let me ask a new question then...
Will the 5505.45 work with the 105 af-s, WITH dry diopter on it.
105 af-s messures 11.6cm as statet on websites online.

(can't afford modular system right now)

okey, thanks... let me ask a new question then...
Will the 5505.45 work with the 105 af-s, WITH dry diopter on it.
105 af-s messures 11.6cm as statet on websites online.

(can't afford modular system right now)

Ronni,

Sorry, but no. The Modular system is the only answer. The 5505.46 port is a 5505.45 that is machined to handle the lens switches. The modular system contains machined parts whereas the standard port system contains molded parts. The molded parts have a 1° draft which allows them to be knocked out of a mold when being produced. This 1° draft is not present in the modular parts.

Hope that clarifies things a bit.

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

Okey, yeah abit.
But why does it say on your site that the 5505.45 will fit lenses smaller than 13cm..
That should meen there is almost 2cm of spare room in the port without a diopter.
? That part i dont get..

Thanks

Okey, yeah abit.
But why does it say on your site that the 5505.45 will fit lenses smaller than 13cm..
That should meen there is almost 2cm of spare room in the port without a diopter.
? That part i dont get..

Thanks

Ronni,

As previously stated, the 5505.45 port will NOT work with the 105 VR lens due to the fact there is insufficient port body base diameter to allow for the lens switches. The 5505.46 port will allow clearance for the switches. Our port chart says specifically "#5505.45 Lens less than 5.1" (13.0cm)". This would mean that a lens that is 5" long would probably just touch the port acrylic but fit, HOWEVER, this is all predicated on where the camera body sits in the housing relative to the port acrylic, as this affects the distance that the lens extends into the port. The 105 VR lens by itself is 4.6" in length from the bayonet mount. This would theoretically leave .40" of airspace, however, not knowing the exact camera position, it could be less and you risk scratching the inside of the port acrylic with a diopter attached. You can also lose another .06" at depth as the housing compresses. Also, as previously stated there are always tolerance variances when using plastics, so it's not a good idea to cut it so close. You can try it, but AGAIN my recommendation is to use the modular system.

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

When you talk about base diameter, i asume you mean for the lens switches to work, in housing. ?
I might wasn't clear enough, but i do Not need to use the lens switches in housing/underwater.

Thanks

When you talk about base diameter, i asume you mean for the lens switches to work, in housing. ?
I might wasn't clear enough, but i do Not need to use the lens switches in housing/underwater.

Thanks

The switches stick out too far from the lens and hit the base diameter of the 5505.45 port body. If you would be lucky enough to get a 5505.45 attached to the housing, the lens would be cocked to one side and you could damage the lens/camera because the housing is designed to keep the camera/lens combination in a locked position when attached to the housing tray...AGAIN, NOT RECOMMENDED.

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

Back
Top Bottom