El-no-Vis Has Not Left The Building

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I read a report of fifty feet visibility at Redondo Beach last Wednesday. After finding brown water and two feet vis on Sunday, I was more than a little skeptical. I planned to dive off San Pedro this morning but the south swell kept me close to King Harbor. One more dive on the barge...
The brown water is still here, but the visibility has improved to over six feet! My focus light barely penetrated more then a few inches, though. I made the best of a bad situation and concentrated on the tiny animals.

RedondoBarge13-5_zpsf6e4e22e.jpg

Beroe gracilis

RedondoBarge2-5_zps7c8406a9.jpg

Ancula gibbosa

RedondoBarge7-4_zps459f8625.jpg

Flabellina iodinea

RedondoBarge11-3_zpsa083a529.jpg

Flabellina trilineata

RedondoBarge12-4_zps7157aa9b.jpg

Tritonia festiva

RedondoBarge8-5_zpsfb8b1d88.jpg

RedondoBarge10-5_zpsf555fb0f.jpg

Doto kya

RedondoBarge6-5_zps9fbbfa71.jpg

RedondoBarge5-5_zpsc0e5deb2.jpg

RedondoBarge4-3_zpsb45e3dc0.jpg

Rictaxis punctocaelatus

Dig the Tritonia festiva with Skeleton Shrimp capture. Excellent Closeup of the Spanish Shawl as well. What's the hole in the Shawl, right beneath the rhinophores? Some type of olfactory gland?

Missing the Philippines are we, Phil and Merry. Tee hee.

the vis has sucked since we got back. :(
You can say that again! Charlie and I scoped from White Point to Haggertys and back. Nothing but swell and brown water.

Were thinking of doing a Catalina run next weekend.

Viz was really bad at Catalina on Sunday too. We went to Ship Rock, Bird Rock, Eagle Reef, Isthmus Reef and there were current everywhere (not ripping but definitely felt) with extremely low viz.

Water in Malibu has been an awful green/brown for the past few weeks. The spot that looked better than most was Little Dume, between Paradise Cove and the staircase at the state reserve at Point Dume. After a long surface swim out to the kelp on Saturday morning, we dropped down to good 10 ft viz, which opened up to 20 ft viz in a number of spots. I haven't seen divers here before, but we explored the little finger reefs that dot the area at about 25-30 feet deep, and had a very pleasant 70 minute dive. Lots of sea life, and very pristine. I went out at Corral Beach in the afternoon with a rescue class, but the visibility there was much worse. On Sunday the gloom and overcast was back, so I suspect visibility deteriorated somewhat

One guy with us missed the dive because he was on the phone with his kids, so he went out for a while while we got back and reported a 4 foot leopard shark swam by him in about 20 ft of water

I think that I might have seen the Rictaxis at Ship Rock. It was tiny but it looked like that: black & white with the shell looking thing on the back. Rex Uber saw it too, but he didn't bring his camera and this sucker was too small even when I put my face right next to it. Hell of a trip to forget to bring my magnifying glass.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom