How do I stay down longer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Relaxation is the key to breath-hold time. Almost any form of altered breathing pattern on a "breathe up" is some form of hyperventilation ("a rose by any other name") according to research - much of it conducted by Dr. Neil Pollack at DAN. Hyperventilation and breathe-up's have risks. Ideally, just a couple of deep breaths followed by a breath-hold with a relaxed body and mind will allow you to get the most time in the safest manner.

Body composition and proper suit ballasting is the key to preventing the struggle to stay down or fight one's ability to sink. Having a high muscle to fat ratio means you'll sink. Having a high fat to muscle ratio means you will float. In a perfect world a freediver would have the right amount of muscle to fat combined with an exposure suit that would leave the diver positive at the surface and in shallow water and neutral to slightly negative at depth. For pool training without an exposure suit being neutral would be ideal. Diet and exercise could help with achieving this result.

Efficient swimming technique is the key to moving farther with less energy expenditure and less energy means you will metabolize less oxygen and create less waste carbon dioxide in a given time period.

So, relax. Breath-in slowly prior to submerging so as not to spike the heart rate. Take a couple of deep breaths without tricking your body into a dropping the CO2 level too much. Relax and move slowly and efficiently underwater. When not underwater get your body to the gym to get conditioned as well as increase some muscle and reduce some fat if you are floaty and you'll see big improvements.

MOST IMPORTANTLY - TRAIN WITH A SPOTTER! Lifeguards may not notice if something goes wrong in a pool. I survived 2 blackouts while training with spotters. One deep dive without a spotter could have killed me if not for an alert diver.

A weight belt would be one way to achieve proper suit ballast. It would work with a higher fat to muscle/bone ratio. Ideally, though, without a suit you want to work to achieve a body composition that doesn't require weight.

I tried inhaling slower and getting my heart rate down, and it helped a bit, but buoyancy was a problem. However, I feel that I'm not filling my lungs to the capacity in the pool than I can on land.

Trace gave you some excellent advice.
But it's a bit like explaining how to scuba dive in one post. Hard to do. Free diving is a bit more than just holding your breath and going down.
If you're really interested in learning, try signing up for a free dive course with:
FII - Freediving Instructors International - Freediving Training - Freediving Courses - Waterman Survival
Or
Performance Freediving International

It's a four day course. You'll learn how to breath up, improve technique, what gear to use (mask, fins, wetsuit) how to properly weight yourself with a wetsuit and just how long you can actually hold your breath. And, about shallow water blackout and how to manage it if your buddy blacks out.

As to your last post on how to breath in more air: breath like a baby and inhale using your abdominal muscles first, then your chest, and then....look up and take the last bit of air in. That's what we learned.
And as mentioned, never do this alone. My son blacked out in the PFI course under supervision and me as his buddy. In 5 feet of water. It was a great learning experience. I would never have believed I could hold my breath for 5 minutes.

Scuba diving is often about exploring the environment & freediving is often about exploring yourself. Over the years I've discovered nothing beats a feeling of oneness with the water and fluidity. It takes lots and lots of practice. It's an art. Throw away ideas of depth, time, and distance and focus on feeling totally at home in and under the water as if you were wearing your favorite jeans and lying on the couch watching your favorite movie on a rainy day and the depth, distance and time will naturally flow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom