Ontario/Niagara Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bunmelt

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm heading up to Niagra falls for the first weekend in July, and would love to do some diving-hopefully to wrecks in Ontario. I am a new diver, so any adventure will be wonderful for me. Any advice on which shops to get in touch with? Any dives that would be fitting? Thanks!!

Are you limiting it only to the Canadian side? Charters for wrecks on the East end of Lake Erie (US, but about 1-1.5 hours from Niagara Falls) and drift the Upper Niagara River (US or Canada) could be objectives....

Might want to check with a few shops in the area to see if they have anything going on.

US: Dip-N-Dive, and Discover Diving
CA: ??????

Tiller Wreck in St catharines is your best bet for a wreck.
There are some available from shore from geneva/lakeshore ..but are quite shallow

Lake erie wrecks....conditions have to be perfect.

From niagara falls, there are a few sites that are not wreck...but still worth doing
-Chippewa creek (from boat launch to stanley bridge, stanley bridge to humane society)
-Upper niagara river (international train bridge, netherby, etc)
-Lower niagara river in Niagara on the lake at Navy Hall...need locals to show how to dive it
-Windmill point park (quarry)
-Sherkston shores....but the viz will suck by then

Eric over at Acquaholic dive charters makes regular runs out to Lake Ontario/Erie. Its a great boat, well suited to diving and really fast.
The Sligo, Tiller, and SA Queen are neat and sub-100ft but as someone else above pointed out many of the wrecks are around the 100-130ft range and the water is pretty chilly at depth (40-48F around July).
If you're fine with that you won't regret getting out. I just did two dives on Monday in Lake Erie and one of the ships has been down there for over 150 years and is still in great shape.

Email Aquaholic.Dive.Charters@gmail.com
Web Site - www.aquaholic.ca

I'm heading up to Niagra falls for the first weekend in July, and would love to do some diving-hopefully to wrecks in Ontario. I am a new diver, so any adventure will be wonderful for me. Any advice on which shops to get in touch with? Any dives that would be fitting? Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom