Running On Empty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Needing to gas up our boat today, we rejoiced at the swell model predictions of two feet swells and light wind. Kevin Lee joined us for his first cold water dives since returning from Anilao. Our plan was to fuel up in Los Angeles Harbor and then hit one of the deeper shipwrecks on the San Pedro Shelf.

We left our house this morning to a stiff breeze. Not a good sign, but we hoped it would calm down soon. As we rounded Rocky Point it became clear that we would take quite a pounding if we continued eastward. We tucked our crotch straps between our legs and headed back toward Redondo Beach.

At the Palawan, whitecaps and a strong current helped us decide to dive nearshore. The surface water over the Landing Craft was green and didn't look good, but Kevin really wanted to take his leaking drysuit into the 51° water.

We dropped through a dirty layer, making me think we would have similar conditions to our last few weeks. Suddenly, the visibility opened up to well over twenty feet. It was cold, but some of the best visibility I had seen on this little wreck. The highlight of the dive for me was finding a purple stripe jelly at the end of the dive.

LandingCraft2-1_zps42a0d9e8.jpg

LandingCraft3-1_zpsd981a68b.jpg

LandingCraft1-1_zpsf7bb81a5.jpg

LandingCraft4-1_zpsd06fc209.jpg

LandingCraft11-1_zpsaf48475f.jpg

LandingCraft9_zps41d4e635.jpg

LandingCraft12-1_zps28d23878.jpg

LandingCraft7-1_zps53d5e3a0.jpg

LandingCraft6-1_zps6db506ae.jpg

LandingCraft5-1_zps7e101e13.jpg

With conditions like this at the Landing Craft, I hoped for better visibility on the barge than we've experienced lately. It turned out to be the best visibility I have seen here. Kevin spotted another purple stripe jelly about fifty feet from the barge. I had my macro lens for this dive, so my attempts at photographing something the size of a basketball failed miserably. I'm sure Kevin scored big time.

I headed back toward the barge and was surprised to see the entire length of the rusting hulk. That was a first for me. It was at least thirty-five feet visibility despite the lousy surface conditions. Before surfacing, Kevin saw another purple stripe jelly.

RedondoBarge9-3_zpsdce771bc.jpg

RedondoBarge10-5_zpsccf3c417.jpg

RedondoBarge4-3_zps713fafaa.jpg

RedondoBarge3-6_zps3e987631.jpg

RedondoBarge8-5_zps416553f7.jpg

RedondoBarge6-5_zpse2a6975f.jpg

RedondoBarge2-5_zpsfd61281c.jpg

RedondoBarge1-6_zpsfcebbc3d.jpg

Wow -- I'd love some species information on things like the second nudibranch, and those last two pictures.

The siphonophore is a Praya sp.
Praya

The nudi is a Doto kya, the reason I bought a Subsee +10 diopter. They are not much more than the size of pinhead. I can see them with my eyes, but can't make out any detail. I've been trying to get a decent shot of one for months with no luck. Kevin has a few nice shots of them. I don't know how he does it. :(
Latest SoCal Dives - Kevin Lee's Photos

Amazing! I don't know how you folks who can spot these tiny animals do it. I've spent more time peering into hydroids than I can count, and I'm sure I miss a lot of them.

Usually we spot their eggs, and sometimes they are still there. Sometimes we find a tiny dot on a piece of rust, take a shot, zoom all the way in on the monitor and get a surprising find.

Wow! Incredible series. Superb Doto kya capture! The south-end definitely took a beating this weekend. Luckily around the corner, good conditions were there were for the taking :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom