Recommended operators in San Diego?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

potato cod

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I will be in San Diego in early August. From there we're heading out to Guadalupe Island on a liveaboard to do the Great White Shark thing (our 10th anniversary trip!), but would like to dive the kelp forest around San Diego either before or after that.

Any recommendations for day trips/operators? Thanks!

My husband and I will be in San Diego in early August. From there we're heading out to Guadalupe Island on a liveaboard to do the Great White Shark thing (our 10th anniversary trip!), but would like to dive the kelp forest around San Diego either before or after that.

Any recommendations for day trips/operators? Thanks!

Here's my recommendations in order of preference w. most preferred listed first:

Horizon (which is probably the boat you're taking to Guadalupe and won't be doing local dives that time of year)
Humbolt/Waterhorse Charters
Marissa
Lois Ann (the funniest dive master though)

And:
Yellow Charter Boat (I've never used this one)

With the exception of the Horizon, all of these boats are day boats with generally tight accomodations. This list is - to my knowledge - a complete list of dive boats out of San Diego. The Yellow Charter Boat might be a good place to start as, although I've never used it myself, the operator is well regarded and is more flexible with regards to dive locations. You pretty much get to tell him where you want to go. The way people typically approach chartering the Yellow Boat is to get a group of let's say 4 people and divide the total cost of chartering by that number. Or you can just charter the whole boat for yourselves which sounds more likely in your case. Also, the Yellow Charter will do longer trips to San Clemente Island if requested (gets expensive though).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom