CoCo View's Accommodations - Selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Well after a year of juggling six different work/school schedules, I think we all can arrange a trip to CoCo View Resort next November. So we have the time and place picked out, now it is time to decide on the accommondations. We have 2 couples and 2 currently single guys in our party. I see that CCV has three types of arrangements that might be nice for us, Bungalows, Cabananas or Oceanfront Rooms (the Mango Suite would not work for us).

For the CCV SBers, what would you recommend and why? I see the price is not very much between the different types of rooms.

BTW WIFI reception is important, does one type of room or another have better reception?

Thanks guys, we greatly appreciate your input.

~Oldbear~

I've stayed in oceanfront and cabana.

Oceanfront was a 2nd floor room. Great views from the deck, which has adirondack-type chairs and a hammock. Entry-exit to the room is through the double doors on the porch. Access to the 2nd floor units is via stairs on either side of the building. Although the porches for each of the 3 units have walls between them for privacy, you can walk between them...and in fact folks in the middle unit must walk across the deck of one of the side units to gain access to their room. That said, we didn't really have any issues with the privacy, since we weren't spending long periods of time in our rooms (mainly sleeping). You can see this in the picture below (taken from our corner unit looking towards the middle unit). The room itself was comfortable and quiet. Decent sized bathroom. This is the second building from the dining hall/clubhouse....about a 1 minute walk. Corner rooms in the oceanfront buildings have side windows and the double doors to the porch (the windowless bathroom is at the rear of the room). The middle units don't have windows. The ocean front buildings are literally ocean front, located about 8-10 feet from the water's edge. The upper level units have the best views of any of the rooms and our corner room seemed to always have a nice breeze when sitting on the porch (March). Wi-fi signal was available in this room and seemed pretty reliable.

View from Ocean Front room #21:

We've also stayed in an over-water cabana. Slightly larger than the ocean fronts and literally over the water. Slightly longer walk to the dining hall (OK, 2 minutes instead of 1 at a leisurely pace...depending on which unit). 4 units per building. Vaulted ceilings make them feel slightly more airy. Entrance is from the back of the unit, with a private porch at the front over the water. Same deck set-up, with chairs and hammock. We were also able to get wi-fi signal in this unit. I would say that we preferred the cabana's to the ocean front rooms, but not a huge advantage to one vs. the other IMHO.

Cabana C1:

This picture (taken from C1) shows the 2 ocean front buildings immediately on the right, followed by the clubhouse/dining hall. You can also see the over-water bungalows in the left center of the picture with the brown roofs (have not stayed in these yet) and their close proximity to the club house.

For wi-fi, probably safest to be closer to the clubhouse..which means either ocean front building, C1-C4 (the first cabana building) or either of the bungalows. I've seen comments that wi-fi is supposedly available in all rooms...not 100% sure about this.

Hope this helps.

More details... (http://www.cocoviewresort.com/accommodations.php)

Most of the locations of the rooms are shown here. There are also some new ones, on-shore, located beneath #13>14 (Mango Suite http://www.cocoviewresort.com/mango-suite.php) and 3 more in the former computer room/fitness center between #18 and C-12.

Shown blow, from Left, Bungalow D, C, B, A; Clubhouse; On -shore Building #1 (Up) 13-15 and Mangrove; On-shore Building #2 (Up) 19, 20, 21 (down) 16, 17, 18; (not shown- Building #3: 22, 23, 24) and Cabanas C1-4, C5-8, C9-12.

Some interiors (a few years old now)

Cabana

Bungalow

13-21 On Shore

There are different levels of handicapped availability in various on-shore first floor rooms.

Getting to #18 or C-12 or Cabana A/B is about 1 minute radius walk from the dining facility, add about another 30 seconds to the dive deck. From C-1 down to C-12 is about another minute. Not a whole lot of range.

I'll be down next week for 2 weeks, I'll give you a first hand report on WiFi, but I do have a high gain external antenna on my box.

Large Diver & Doc,

Thanks for the great reports...it was so helpful.

I look forward to the future report.

Cheers,

~Michael~

They are all good.
I would recommend a cabana. But that's a personal choice - not a good/bad choice.

Agree with DeputyDan's comments.....folks who have stayed in all the rooms said the same to us when we were booking...all are good.

A few other things to consider:
- The bungalows are closest to the clubhouse/dining hall/bar building. Shortest walk to alcohol/food. Prob also the shortest to the dive dock :)
- End units of certain buildings can sometimes take longer to cool down in the late afternoon/early evening (all equipped with AC...but generally gets turned off when the cleaning crew comes by)....as they receive more direct sunlight due to being on the end, plus they have more windows (room 21 was cooler...on the east end of the 2nd ocean front building...so less direct PM sun). This isn't a show stopper, just something we noticed with C1 (since it is on the west end of the first cabana building.....thus receiving direct afternoon sun). Offset is that you have a corner unit with more natural light and better breeze action on your deck
- There are slight variations in the bed configurations for various units...which may affect your selection. The CCV reservation staff will hook you up with the right config depending on whether you are a couple or singles sharing a room.

Have a great time! We just booked again for 2014 - can't wait to get back!

Chris

We've stayed at the bungalows and the cabanas.

Much prefer the cabanas.

Bungalows are nice, but almost too close to the clubhouse if you decide you've had enough of the noise

The cabanas are also closer to the reef so you get the soothing sounds of waves better. Plus I think they get better breezes through them for cooling

The only place Frau was able to get wi-fi was at the clubhouse -- I've never taken a computer down there

I'm at CCV right now. I have wireless on my ipad all the way around the resort, c12 to Bungalow D... Using std internal antenna from Apple I got wifi 100%.

No AT&T service, but Ill ask others.

Thanks for the WIFI update...have a good time.

I'm here right now typing from cabana C3. I have stayed in the bungalows and the cabanas. I prefer the cabanas. More room, 2 queen beds, over water balcony. When I stay here
I like to stay right here in this cabana! Well, actually I prefer staying UNDER the water. Which we do 4 or 5 times a day. Well, only 3 today, wife has a cold. My only concern is your choice of seasons. You are coming in the middle of the wet season. I did that ONCE. The other 8 times ave ranged from March to June. Although August and Sept are nice too although hot.
Come on down. We are having a blast. Just got in from night dive. Octopus, eagle ray and the usual suspects.

Back
Top Bottom