which to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iluvtheocean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hopefully this is posted in the correct area.

Can't decide which i should do.. I have an opportunity to go to a free Cavern Course Preview Seminar next thursday or go to my niece's talent show. I won't be able to consider taking the actual cavern course this year. I admit it'll be a PADI course - butIANTD cavern certification is part of the actual class.

I agree with Nimoh. Some things can be done any time. Some things you only get one shot at.

Simple go to your niece talent show as courses and cavern will always be there. Your niece talent show might only happen once.

sounds good so i'll go to nitrox tomorrow and the talent show on thurs... now the other question would the course be worth it later?.. i know always depends on the instructor.
but it's PADI Cavern and i've read on here how much the padi cavern is loved. :eyebrow: but since it's offered as a dual cert - does that change the bar on it?
i know my gear would is only good for OW and maybe cavern.

My vote would be to go for a real cavern (or better yet, cave) course. I did TDI, so I'm not fully aware of the IANTD course standards, but I'd like to imagine they're a bit more thorough than PADI. If so and either is offered, go for the one that'll give you a better education.

It really depends on what you want from the class. If you are looking for the skills refinement that comes with overhead training, then there is no reason not to take a PADI class -- but I'd make sure the person teaching it is Full Cave through another agency, to ensure you really have someone who knows what they are doing. If you are interested in proceeding to more advanced cave training, you may need a card from another agency, but IANTD may suffice.

Cavern is often recommended as a skills refinement class, and it is. It will focus on precise buoyancy control, non-silting propulsion, and tolerance of task loading and diver stress. It is a good step up in diving competence, no matter what agency offers it, so long as the instructor sets cave-quality standards.

I know the course and the instructor. He'll teach an awful lot of the overhead skills you'll need to advance through further levels, (PADI doesn't offer a cave course, which is why he cross certifies his cavern with IANTD). He's a full IANTD instructor for cave and tech, which he'll be teaching later in the year...also worthwhile. Anything discussed in the free seminar will be covered again if you take the course.

As an instructor, he's pretty flexible time-wise. Just because you didn't go to the free presentation doesn't mean you can't take the course.

Enjoy the talent show.

Last edited:
Talent parties are not to be missed.
Cavern training is easy to schedule skills are harder to master.
Train well and gain mastery of the skills and techniques.
These will serve you well.

CamG

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom