Shore dive in Puako with Jackson Seay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buster1dog

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Aloha

Spent two weeks in Kona in April. I did some boat diving with Kona Dive Co. while my wife was getting her certification with them. They took us to some awesome sights and were really great with her instruction.

We decided to do a few shore dives after her course.

I contacted Jackson Seay in Puako and arranged for a couple of guided dives with him. I gotta say those dives were some of the best shore dives I've ever done. Jackson knows that reef like the back of his hand.

The high lite of my trip was when my wife fresh from her ow cert with the Kona dive guys and I did our own shore dive in Puako. She was a little apprehensive about the entry but it turned out a lot easier than she thought it would be.

We geared up at the car, carried fins, mask, camera down to the entry spot. Put on our masks, waded out into chest high water, finned up and took off for our dive into coral paradise.

I can't wait to get back there. Next time we're going to stay in Puako and explore more of that beautiful reef.

If your thinking of shore diving on the Big Island I highly recommend Puako. If you're going to Puako I highly recommend a dive with Jackson.
He charges $60 which includes all the gear.
Check his website at DivePuako

Puako is one of my favorite shore dives on the Big Island. It can get windy / blown from late morning on, making entry / exit tricky and wrecking the 'viz, so I usually recommend planning an early morning dive there.

Best wishes.

Thank you so much for posting this! We're staying in Puako in July. My wife doesn't dive, but I will be diving as much as possible. It's our first time in Hawai'i and I was wondering if there might be someone reasonable to show me around Puako shore dives. Awesome!

We loved our dives with Jackson. If you get a chance, try doing a twilight/night combo at Puako with him! It was a BLAST!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom