How do you bag your BP/w Dive equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LanceRiley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
this might be a very strange question...

but how do you pack your BP/W ? and other dive gears?

When I converted to BP/w i realized that there are a lot of metal parts and one of them in the wrong position could cut a hose!

at present I put it in a plastic box.

Jetfins in the bottom.
next is BP/w face down... now here lies the problem. the STA is facing up. Or do you remove the STA?
above sits the regulator, mask and boots.

this is in a cheap hardware plastic box.

now if I were to travel.. No way can i bring that plastic box. no way is it secure.. and I don't think it can stand airline travel.

any suggestions? canvass bags? will it hold the metal?

I have one box with everything (wet or drysuit&undergarnment, hood, gloves, boots, regulators, mask, snorkel, ...) and a bag with the lamps&computers; the fins, the tank(s) and the BP/w are put extra.

For transport by car/boat this brings the number of items down to something that can easily controled to be complete.

For transport by airplane I usualy only bring a minimum of equipment (mask, small lamp, computer, regulators, fins, .. ) and rent the missing gear in an LDS; be it only for the reducing the weight. If however I was to bring f.i. a BP/w with a STA, I would probably pack it in a separate bag together with the fins, towels and other stuff that wouldn't be damaged by the metal parts.

Last edited:
why would it cut a hose? i sort my reg in the reg bag. the b/p is loose. i am thinking of getting a cloth laundry bag to store it so its neater.

When I travel, mask, regulators, primary light, and wings are carried on, BP, fins, and everything else is checked. I used to check the wing too, until I showed up on a cave dive with small hole in the wing where it had been pinched somehow in transit.

Last edited:
For international travel, I separate the plate from the wing with the regs in the middle. Pack it all tight with suit/undergarment and hope for the best. So far, so good.

When transporting to/from a boat, I just put the plate on the bottom of the bag, then regs and wing. Fins go along size the plate giving the bag some 'form'.

The plate isn't sharp, and it won't cut a hose. A pinch-flat is a consideration, but just keep the wing away from the edges. Maybe consider rolling it up?

Ok i should clarify.. I live in the Philippines. Travel is kind of a nuisance since we're in a bunch of islands. but... it's really great and easy to dive! home is like a few minutes. Since I live in the tropics. I don't wear a wetsuit. I just pack fins, BC, mask, Reg.

My question is how do you guys pack it? what kind of bag? or container? Netbags are a no no for me since. I drive a sedan. no way am i getting the carpet wet. that would be a lot of work!

I use an STA. and I find it.. sharp looking. a hose might be in the way.. plus topped with something heavier. you never know..

so bottom for me is Jetfins... then BP/W aluminum face down. so STA is on top..

For airline travel I disassemble the BP/W so it will fit in a standard suitcase better. I use a standard suitcase instead of a so called specialized case so I am not advertising what is in the case. I use a commercial diving harness instead of a metal backplate to reduce the overall weight and pack the wetsuit or cloths around any sensitive parts I want to protect. Other then air travel I just use a kit bag, again giving no indication of what is in the bag. The kit bag is also somewhat water proof so if I have nowhere to rinse the gear after a dive I can just fill the bag with water instead.

KitBag.jpg

we usually use a chicken crate with a custom lid when driving. it;s not water proof but there's enough time to dry the gear before driving back.

For air travel, i seperate the plate, sta, and wing. placed in the same pack but with wetsuit, towels, clothes in between the 3

so basically... you have to dismantle the rig.. so bladder can be rolled? right?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom