GPS Coordinates of Greal Lakes wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snoopybane

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for a website that has a list of shipwrecks/dive site GPS coordinates. I've been looking a while, and while I can find references to LOTS of wrecks in my area (Milwaukee, WI), I can only find a few actual locations.
Is there some place where people post the locations of wrecks?
I'm willing to post what I've found, but hopefully there is more out there.

---------- Post added May 12th, 2013 at 01:08 PM ----------

I trust the first site the most. The other ones seem to have some discrepancies (be it different datum points, or just mistakes).

So far,
Mooring locations from Wisconsin Shipwrecks.org
Wisconsin's Great Lakes Shipwrecks - Diver's Area - All Moorings

Chitown Angler.com has a list of some.
Chicago Fishing Reports | Lake Michigan Shipwreck GPS Numbers

Neptune's Cove listing near SE Lake Michigan.
Neptune's Wreck list for South East Wisconsin

buy Cris Kohl's "The Great Lakes Diving Guide" (second edition) from Seawolf Communications (ISBN: 978-0-9679976-9-8)), and you have a bunch of the information you seek, and more....

Its worth every penny....

Yes buy the book it is full of a great short history of lots of great wrecks..... But the numbers are notoriously inaccurate... Proceed with caution.

The numbers in Kohl's book are questionable. You may want to contact a few of the charter captains and see if they will share.

My experience has been that a lot of people had Loran C Lat Longs which look just like GPS numbers and now some of the popular books and websites are showing the Loran coordinates as GPS numbers. This has been a big problem and has caused a lot of people to waste their day looking but not finding known wreck sites.

The GPS/ Loran C conversion is a real pain. If you are lucky you might be within 50' of a wreck site. I've seen them off by 300+ feet and I have heard stories about it being off by a 1/2 mile! The advantage of Loran C is that it always took you to the same exact spot within a few feet. GPS is around 30'.

I was one of the first pleasure boats to have Loran C in 1979. This was before the Great Lakes chain was even working. Even after the Great Lakes chain came on we had to make our own charts. The best accuracy here in the Great Lakes for Loran was 70 ft. Which still put you on the wrecks. The current GPS with WAAS the accuracy is about 10 to 30 ft. Better than any Loran.

Snoopy, I have a confirmed list of a ton of sites that I've visited over the years. Sadly, they aren't in your areas. They do cover much of Lake Ontario, Erie, Huron and Whitefish Bay...

If you want it, send me your email address...

During the late 80's to the mid 90's, the gps system was way off. One day it could take darn near on top of a wreck, then the next it would be 100' off. Today it is much more accurate than what LORAN can provide, but LORAN did and still does have its uses when making grids. The artificial LORAN we use is helpful in some aspects.

During the late 80's to the mid 90's, the gps system was way off. One day it could take darn near on top of a wreck, then the next it would be 100' off.

That was due to the Government imposed SA (selective availability) which has been discontinued as a policy. Also with DGPS/WAAS, and the fact that even the cheapest devices are using 2x as many satelites in positioning (my first Garmin was a 6 channel), things are much better pinpointed. LORAN signals always degraded over land, and the Great Lakes chain has/had its beacons quite inland in numerous locations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom