New Oceanic Delta 4.2 and FDX10 honking and air delivery problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bluguru

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just returned from a Caribbean dive trip with my brand new Oceanic Delta 4.2 and FDX10. The reg started honking on the first dive at around 35 feet deep. I looked online and found others complaining of this problem with the FDX10 and Delta 2nd stage also. The more I read, the more it seemed an annoyance more than anything. One a second dive it started honking at 50 feet and again seemed like an annoyance as we did not dive deeper than 50 feet. On a third dive it started honking again at 25-30 feet this time, but worked fine. As I descended to 70 feet the honking became very loud and it started vibrating that the noise or vibration became extremely painful to my inner ear. I found that it became very hard to draw air from the Delta 2nd stage and so I quickly moved to my octo which started free flowing as I grabbed it. As I pulled out the Delta 4.2 and inadvertently turned it upright, it started free flowing also. Luckily a friend quickly swam over and provided me with his octo. I stopped the free flow by turning the reg and octo to point the mouth piece down. As we ascended back up to 35 feet I moved back to my octo (and Alpha 8 octo) which worked and after a while I tried the Delta 4.2 which now worked without honking. I did not dive again during the trip as I felt I had defective equipment and was pressing my luck. I just wanted to chime in on the honking problem as I feel it is more than just an annoyance and feel it is dangerous and is probably a defect. I have also just lost my faith in Oceanic after my move up to the Delta 4.2 after using the GT3 without incidence for many dives. I know I am not perfect, so please do not blast me. I am just making a point about the honking problem and looking to save someone else from a potentially deadly situation.

usually lubricating the diaphragm with tribolube can stop a flutter, but it sounds like that reg needs tuning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom