Ferry service Roatan to Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lokigold

Reaction score
My wife and I are staying at CocoView for the week starting 1/27/04 and then moving on to Utila Lodge for the following week. We are planning to take the ferry via La Cieba so we can dive on Friday and not worry about time to fly issues when we travel on Saturday. With the hassles of going through security and waiting around the airport it seems that it won't take much longer than if we were to go by air. Has anyone else done this or know of any problems with this approach? Any information will be greatly appreciated

lokigold:
My wife and I are staying at CocoView for the week starting 1/27/04 and then moving on to Utila Lodge for the following week. We are planning to take the ferry via La Cieba so we can dive on Friday and not worry about time to fly issues when we travel on Saturday. With the hassles of going through security and waiting around the airport it seems that it won't take much longer than if we were to go by air. Has anyone else done this or know of any problems with this approach? Any information will be greatly appreciated

I've only taken the ferry from Roatan to Guanaja. The route you mention would take a very long time, basicaly taking you 45 miles from Roatan laCieba and then all of the way back (almost) to Utila. I don't even know if this is a Friday route, but it's hard to imagine it being faster in any way.

Two ways to find out: Ask your oCoView booking agent, assumably Roatan Charter 800 282-8932 and ask for info there. I think that they already include your airfare to and from Utila on some kind of two week special- or at least they used to.

The other way- go to the source- get on http://www.cocoviewresort.com and click on the discussion group. Leave a post titled "Erin, what about Ferry Service?" and she will come up with an answer to your post.

Or you could just SCUBA over from Roatan to Utila on Friday I suppose. Watch for the Whale Sharks!

Hi RM, I've checked the schedule(actually travelling on Saturday), yes the time on the ferry will be consderably longer than the air time, however, given the total time, meaning going through security etc. and hanging around the airport, it seems that it won't take all that much more time to get to Utila Lodge. I was more concerned about the ferry itself and the conditions I might find on it. I also thought that it would provide an opportunity to get a better view of the mainland, expose us to a little more local color, and it is significantly less expensive than flying.

lokigold:
Hi RM, I've checked the schedule(actually travelling on Saturday), yes the time on the ferry will be consderably longer than the air time, however, given the total time, meaning going through security etc. and hanging around the airport, it seems that it won't take all that much more time to get to Utila Lodge. I was more concerned about the ferry itself and the conditions I might find on it. I also thought that it would provide an opportunity to get a better view of the mainland, expose us to a little more local color, and it is significantly less expensive than flying.

deffiently fly, it will take 4 hours minimum on the ferry and la ceiba is nothing special thats if you even leave the terminal. flying will take well under an hour including all the security, checking in and whatever else. also you won't see much of the mainland on the ferry just some hills.

Lokigold,

Don't worry about the ferry!! It real nice. (Galaxy II) Wife and I fly into Roatan and take the ferry to Utila. We love Utila. Ferry leaves Coxen Hole at 7AM every moring, goes to La Ceiba. (1 Hour) Unloads passengers and baggage, loads new passengers and baggage and departs for Utila. Arrives Utila at 10:30 AM. The ferry carries only passengers, is air conditioned and has very comfortable captain style chairs, a snack bar and movies in English. You do not have to get off the boat while stopped at La Ceiba. The ferry will cost about $25.00 each. Flying will be about $75.00-$100.00 each. The hassel at the La Ceiba airport and having to change planes there to go to Utila CAN be a challenge. Now, if you can get a straight flight into Utila, go for it!! I've never been able to get one. We,ve been to Utila 3 times in past year. Planning to go again soon. If you need more PM me.

Regards,

lokigold:
Thanks, Cudabait - Sounds nice, just what I wanted to hear.

I just went to both Roatan and Utila over the New Year's holiday. We took the ferry - there are actually 2 different lines. We made the mistake of getting off and thinking we needed to change to the other ferry - luckily locals directed us. We also flew between Utila & Roatan. With the faffing around waiting for the connection at La Ceiba, I think the ferry is a bit shorter. If you're staying at Utila Lodge, write to Marley and let him know which boat you're coming in on. He'll send someone for you. Didn't know about that and we hauled all of our gear from the ferry to Utila Lodge - its probably only about 150 yards, but hey, if they'll pick you up, why not?. Also if you can in advance, request the southern most room on the second floor. With porches on both sides, eastern sunrise and western sunset in the hammock, I can't say enough. If you can, try to dive with Albert, the local Utilian divemaster. He spots everything from Sea Goddess' to baby flounder.

happy diving -ariel

My husband and I took the ferry from Utila to La Ceiba to Roatan. It was a very nice ride. Although it doesn't look like much, the little cafe at the ferry terminal in La Ceiba offered some of the best honduran food we ate on the trip. I highly recommend it--not fancy, but very tasty!

Roatan<->Utila Ferry
I recognize this is a belated response, but I am posting it in an attempt to reduce the number of emails I have been receiving recently regarding this subject.

There is a Catamaran that currently (2008-2009) runs a regular passenger service between Roatan and Utila.
See AboutUtila.com/TravelInfo/Roatan-to-Utila/ for details.

Regards - Mark
WebMaster - AboutUtila.com

Emailo Vern, the captain/owner of the Catamran Nina Elizabeth 2, he runs a regular passenger service between the islands. He can be contacted on vfine@hotmail.com personally i would never consider any other way of making the crossing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom