Help - Canon G15, Ikelite DS-51, Ikelite Case using TTL Double Flashing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

designbysue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Am diving in the morning in Cancun with my new set up. Have everything set up according to the instructions and tested today. Found that the strobe is firing 2 times per shot instead of once. Is this normal? If not what setting could I have missed? Any quick help will be appreciated because if this is incorrect, I will be overworking the strobe and draining the batteries.

Thanks
Sue

Not normal..I do not have that kit but try the following;
on the camera see if you can set it for external strobe only.strobe on camera should not fire when using external strobe.
Be sure you have the strobe switch on ttl
do you have the correct sync cord? it should have a blue shrink wrap on it.
is hot shoe from housing to camera in all the way and secure?

Camera not firing - the G15 has a flash that need to be raised to fire and it is down. Strobe is on TTL Yes cord is correct with the blue on it. Will double check the cord. Meanwhile if anyone else has any thoughts please reply

Thanka

With all my Ike housings (Oly 8080, Sony A350, A55, A65) the strobes have always double flashed when in TTL and operating correctly.
However, the double flash is very close together and I think is something to do with the camera metering.

What do the pictures look like, are they properly exposed?

With all my Ike housings (Oly 8080, Sony A350, A55, A65) the strobes have always double flashed when in TTL and operating correctly.
However, the double flash is very close together and I think is something to do with the camera metering.

What do the pictures look like, are they properly exposed?

Thank you - yes is it a very rapid flash - almost immediate. I appreciate your confirmation that this is "normal". Now the critters will be doubly blinded!

Start using the system today so will know this afternoon if the pics are ok - the few land shots I took looked correct.

Sue

Am diving in the morning in Cancun with my new set up. Have everything set up according to the instructions and tested today. Found that the strobe is firing 2 times per shot instead of once. Is this normal? If not what setting could I have missed? Any quick help will be appreciated because if this is incorrect, I will be overworking the strobe and draining the batteries.

Thanks
Sue

Sue,

This is from a technician at Ikelite. You may have already received this response via your email inquiry to Ikelite.

That is normal if you are shooting in TTL flash mode. The double flash is
the preflash followed by the main flash. The camera determines the flash
exposure based on the preflash. It is OK, even preferable to use it like
that.
When you used the EV Controller before with other G series cameras, you
were using manual flash and there was no preflash, hence you only had a
single flash. If you want to use manual flash instead, the easiest way to
do that is to put the camera in manual (M) mode and the preflash will be
canceled, and you can set your flash exposure manually.

So, to answer your questions 1) Yes, that is the way it's supposed to work,
and 2) everything is working as it should. When using aperture priority
(Av), shutter priority (Tv), or Program (P) mode, the factory default flash
mode is TTL (aka "Auto" flash in the camera menu) and that means there will be a preflash.

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

Sue,

This is from a technician at Ikelite. You may have already received this response via your email inquiry to Ikelite.

That is normal if you are shooting in TTL flash mode. The double flash is
the preflash followed by the main flash. The camera determines the flash
exposure based on the preflash. It is OK, even preferable to use it like
that.
When you used the EV Controller before with other G series cameras, you
were using manual flash and there was no preflash, hence you only had a
single flash. If you want to use manual flash instead, the easiest way to
do that is to put the camera in manual (M) mode and the preflash will be
canceled, and you can set your flash exposure manually.

So, to answer your questions 1) Yes, that is the way it's supposed to work,
and 2) everything is working as it should. When using aperture priority
(Av), shutter priority (Tv), or Program (P) mode, the factory default flash
mode is TTL (aka "Auto" flash in the camera menu) and that means there will be a preflash.

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

Thank you for your response here and to my email (wasn't sure you would see the post here - sorry for duplication in email) Happy to report all worked fantastically on my dives this morning. Love the G15 in the Ike case and the TTL is wonderful!

Glad to know all is working properly.

Sue

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom