Which liveaboard & where in late December?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ammc07

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all
I'm trying to think where to dive for 2 weeks from 21/22 Dec. I'd want ideally 2 liveaboards but I think I'll just have to combine a liveaboard + a few days diving from land before or after depending on flights (I'll be travelling from London).

I've never been in the Caribbean. I have 500+ dives, mostly in the UK, Red Sea & Maldives.

I want relatively warm water, at least 26C, and sunny warm air too as it seems England is in perma-winter this year. Of course good viz would be a plus! I got a bit worried looking at my 'where to go' book that indicates December as not the best time to visit/divebecause it can be cold. I guess everything is relative as London will most likely be freezing but I really don't like being cold when diving ( I usually have a 5ml when my buddy is in a 3ml and others in shorty!)

Where would be warm with not too much wind? I've looked at various boats doing Turk & Caicos, StKitts/St Marteen, Belize or Cayman. I've eliminated the Bahamas after reading a few postings on this board.

Or should I keep the Caribbean for a different time of year altogether & think of something else?

Many thanks in advance.
Ammc

One thing to be aware of is that weather sometimes keeps the Cayman Aggressor from making the trip over to the Sister Islands in the winter months. If you haven't seen it already, check their Captain's Log thread for history - they even suggest wetsuit thicknesses: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ag...413000-cayman-aggressor-iv-captains-logs.html

My buddy was on Grand Cayman the week after Christmas earlier this year. He dove with a 3Mil and and a skin. Not diving every day so his core temperature wasn't affected like when we do liveaboards. He's thin so gets cold easily also, typically I'd be in a t-shirt/board shorts when he's in the 3mil w/o the skin. But I'm never cold.

IDK about the weather in December but the Turks/Caicos Explorer was a good trip 2 years ago - in May. With thanks to Mike Southard, we saw all of this also - except the dolphins: http://www.awoosh.com/Saudio/Saudio_Turks&Caicos.html

Edit: found this - http://www.turksandcaicostourism.com/weather.html
The average temperature ranges between 85 and 90 degrees (29-32 degrees celsius) from June to October, sometimes reaching the mid 90's (35 degrees celsius), especially in the late summer months. From November to May the average temperature is 80 to 84 degrees (27-29 degrees celsius). Water temperature in the summer is 82 to 84 degrees (28-29 degrees celsius) and in winter about 74 to 78 degrees (23-26 degrees celsius). A constant trade wind keeps the climate at a very comfortable level.

There is an annual rainfall of 21 inches on Grand Turk and South Caicos, but as you go further west the average rainfall could increase to 40 inches. In an average year the Turks and Caicos has 350 days of sunshine.

Hurricane season runs from June 1 to November 30th.

Last edited:
Caribbean does have a winter, there is much more likelyhood of windy conditions roughing things up and it's rainy season many places. Obviously you won't be freezing above water, but the water won't be as balmy especially at destinations further north. That said, people still go all these places year round and have a good time - for most coming from the US it's convenient and still a whole lot warmer than home!

The further south you get - like the ABCs, Grenada, St Vincent - you should have noticably warmer conditions even in the winter. Don't know of any liveaboards further south right now though (aside from chartering a sailboat, there seem to be a few equipped for divers.) If you're flexible, and want the nicest weather, and especially if you want a liveaboard, maybe save this trip for a better time of year. (Personally, I don't understand why folks from Europe bother with the Caribean at all when you're so much closer to places like the Red Sea and Maldives than US folks.)

stay with the Aggressor theme but i would say Turks & Caicos Aggressor the diving is like much better than bloody bay wall and lots of big stuff n small the weather hardly ever affects the route and all sites are stunning the usual plan is 2 dives am 1 dive site then 3 pm at another
diving from land simple Dive provo very good!
any other info let me know
but your enjoy it more than cayman(esp if they cant do the crossing)

I don't understand why folks from Europe bother with the Caribean at all when you're so much closer to places like the Red Sea and Maldives than US folks.)

I'd dived the Red Sea & the Maldives many, many times & wanted something different. Why not the Caribbean? Looks like I need to consider carefully though.

yeah, I understand that people want to go someplace different, someplace they haven't been. But the grass isn't always greener, just sayin'...

I'd dived the Red Sea & the Maldives many, many times & wanted something different. Why not the Caribbean? Looks like I need to consider carefully though.

What we are all telling you is THIS IS THE WRONG TIME OF YEAR TO DO THE CARIBBEAN. Winter in the Caribbean can mean rocking seas, dives cancelled due to rough seas, and lower vis due to rough seas. Land-based can be better, but you are still looking at iffy conditions. Water will be colder also.

The only place with more stable weather in winter is down in Bonaire, but it is shore diving, not a liveaboard. All the reefs are walking distance from shore, perfect that way for easy diving conditions. If you REALLY want to go somewhere in the Caribbean during December, then go THERE. A shore diving vacation can be fun.

I would vote for the turks explorer. The doing is great, the staff is better. Was with them mid April for 27 dives in a week. Great boat good food reliable air an quality dive staff. Sharks 27 of 27 dives.

Contact me private for more info.

Turks and Caicos can be great in the winter. The best diving (which the Aggressor will take you too) are French Cay and West Caicos. These islands are off the South side of Provo, and are somewhat more protected than diving on the north side. In fact, many dive operators actually move their boats from the north side marina to the south side marina during the winter. However, as others have said, the further south you go, the warmer it will be. December wouldn't be as cool as going in Jan or Feb.

Since you are not a citizen of the USA, Jardines De La Reina is one of the best locations in the Caribbean. Avalon, a well run Italian company, has sole permission to dive the region and the number of divers allowed per year are limited, so book early.
You will find loads of sharks, 600lbs groupers, pristine coral and even crocs.
They have a few different live aboards, differing slightly in price. Not a "cheap" trip, but the best you will get in the Caribbean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom