Utila or Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmneus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Where should I go for my first time in the Bay Islands? I'm torn between Mango Inn or Deep Blue Utila on Utila or Seabreeze Inn on Roatan. Which has better overall reefs/animal life? Will I be equally happy with either for my first time there?

Why don't you tell us where you've already been diving?

I've been many places but still very much enjoy diving Roatan. No burning desire to go to the time and trouble getting to Utila. You will find as many answers as there are divers who've done both but even that doesn't give you the best answer perhaps unless it comes from someone who has dived both numerous times.

One of my Roatan dive buddies has also been diving in many other places including GBR and she's still satisfied with diving Roatan, and not taking the trek over to Utila.

And I've another newish diver buddy who had to be arm wrestled into diving in Belize (instead of returning to Roatan yet again) on our upcoming trip just so as to have more experience outside of Roatan.

Why don't you tell us where you've already been diving?

Thank you for your answer, I spent 3 weeks on a liveaboard in the BVI, been to Cozumel but only did two dives there, Punta Cana, Riviera Maya. So I'm sure I will love either....it's just so hard to choose just one.

Do both!! :wink:

I did my Divemaster training at Utila Dive Center (the training center associated with the Mango Inn) and enjoyed my diving very much. The Mango is a very nice place and has a good dive operation. After 3+ weeks on Utila, I stayed at Anthony's Key Resort on Roatan; again more great diving and a fantastic resort. AKY, however, is an all-inclusive resort and can be a little pricey.

You mentioned you have only one week and a limited budget...while Utila can be inexpensive, you loose a day getting there and ½ - 1 another full day coming back, plus the added expense of tranportation vs not diving. I would focus my attention to Roatan.

I have not heard anything good or bad about SeeBreeze to no comment there.

I am looking at going to Coco View just because there is opportunity to do 4-5 dives a day and that is what I want to do in Roatan. On my off-gas day I will snorkle with the dolphins at AKR...a truly amazing experience.

I have also heard good things about Bananarama but I do not have any personal experience with them other than eating at their beach-side resturant...good eats there :)

This question about good dive operations on Roatan is a frequent post; a lot of good info in past threads. Good luck with your search and have a great day.

Bananarama is in West Bay, not West End.

Bananarama is in West Bay, not West End.

Great point....

When I went to Bananarama I took a taxi to the West End first not knowing there was a difference between that and West Bay. Night and day...I personally like West Bay over the West End, but West Bay might be a little bit more expensive than the West End for the OP.

What should not get lost in the details is just go and have a great time.

Thank you Oldbear, that was very helpful, I don't want to loose all that time getting to Utila so I think Roatan it is. I would love to stay at CocoView but it's a little too much for my budget.

Thank you Oldbear, that was very helpful, I don't want to loose all that time getting to Utila so I think Roatan it is. I would love to stay at CocoView but it's a little too much for my budget.

You're welcome cmneus...

CCV can be a little pricey compared to others. For me, I want to take some newbies there to try and maximize our dive availability. But if you look around I am pretty sure there is something for everybody and you should be just fine. :)

Happy bubbles...

~Me~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom