Puerto Galera-El Galleon Beach Resort info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Airpig87

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody has stayed at El Galleon beach resort at Puerto Galera. Booking a 7 night trip there for May next year, just seeing if anybody can give me any information. eg. the hotel, the diving, water temp, the night life (if any around town) etc etc, whatever info you have. I have never been to the Phillipines and neither have any of my diving buddies. the dive shop usually books around 20 people on international trips several times a year so there will be enough of us to keep us entertained, just seeing what you all think...

Cheers!

Tristan

just been there a couple of weeks ago...dive op very professional. rooms are OK with mini fridge TV bed - nothing fancy, food is good but a little bit pricey. night life - plenty and walking distance.

P.S. - If your a guy check out one of there dive master (mui mui)...she's hot!!! *wink wink*

I can't comment on the dive op or resort as I always dive with a smaller dive op just down from them.
I do like their point bar, great view, not to expensive on the beers, and they have a b-b-q night that is really good. It is a 5-10 minute walk into Sabang where there are several restaurants and bars. I like the full moon bar in small lalaguna, on the beach with a happy hour from 5-10:30, plus a restaurant that serves pretty good food for a good price.

Last edited:
I dove with the same dive op that blue steal uses and only walked past El Galleon. The outside of the resort looked nice but I didn't venture in. I didn't partake of the night life anywhere since I ran out of accepted currency (they didn't take traveler's checks in Sabang).

Min water temps on my dives in late April and early May were 85-88 F. Diving varied from some muck to pretty clear coral reefs. Plenty of dive sites to visit. Lots to see.

I have used Asia Divers / El Galleon several times, the last time being November last year.

Very professional outfit with some good entertaining Brit instructors (Pete and Jamie) as well as a Canadian girl Ally. Did not meet mui mui so she must be new .... perhaps I need to go back again :wink:

Diving is the same sites that most of the the other ops use. EAN32 on tap and well organized. Water temps should be around 27/28C and generally 4 boat trips per day, with outings also to Verde Island if booked ahead. Night dives also done, not sure what the minimum number was for that.

Accommodation is okay, and the food is good. Agree with the comments about the BBQ night at the Point Bar, and a good place to start a T-Shirt collection .... anyone who has drank there will know what I am talking about.

In fact the Point Bar can get quite hectic and lively, no need to go into Sabang town.

We stayed and dove there a few years ago. Very professional dive op, boats were bangkas with backroll entry, dive sites varied, some good,bad and excellent. Some wild currents in April for our trip but guides led us flying through the water and the boat always found us miles away on the surface. It was so much fun. Verde island was beautiful reef and tons of small fish everywhere. No big fish anywhere we dove. Dynamite fishing was allowed there in the past and you can see evidence of that in some areas. Lots of starfish, giant clams, wreck dive, lots of nudibranchs everywhere, colorful featherstars(Crinoidea).

You should try to book your group to include a full meal plan. The chef is excellent there and the food was always buffet and delicious. The rooms, pool view, have the least amount of steps but are rather small and very basic but clean. The other rooms are up steep steps to different levels on the hill.

The town is a 5 minute walk but it's not a place I would think of as a night life type of place. It's fairly primitive there. The bar at El Galleon is more upscale than anything in the town.

I can only agree with much of the above!! Very organized and professional... Dives sites within 5-10 minutes (super convenient), lots of different sites but after a few days you will see start seeing the same sites which became boring for me. But the day trip to Verde island was a real highlight to me... So much more fish and things to see!! Try to do that...

The point bar!! Happy hour was great to catch up with other divers and got the shark attack tshirt!! Had to get that one!!

The point bar!! Happy hour was great to catch up with other divers and got the shark attack tshirt!! Had to get that one!!

Me too :D

...lots of different sites but after a few days you will see start seeing the same sites which became boring for me.

I've done more than 2,000 dives in a single site and still haven't gotten bored of it. I still see new behavior and even new species on occasion. Although we did repeat a few of the sites in Puerto Galera, I certainly didn't get bored with them. It's all a matter of looking closely.

Back
Top Bottom