Shark Dive Schedule

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkopec

Contributor
Reaction score
Will be at Infinity Bay May 28-June 1 and asked Infinity Divers about scheduling a shark dive on Thursday May 30. They said they're normally scheduled to go on Fridays but would check and see if they could still get me in. I'm not necessarily tied to Infinity Divers...does anyone know what days the various operators are scheduled to do the shark dive and what the daily itinerary is as far as times/transportation/etc. I will have all of my own gear and will be going solo, so just need something within walking distance where I can meet for transport and drop off.
Thanks for any info.
Brian

The Shark Dive is run by it's own concession, Wiahuka (sp?) Divers, and they will take you out any day of the week.

Thanks Doc. I found this on their website...do you think it's just dated? I would contact them myself, but can't seem to find any contact info on their site. Roatan Shark Dive

Waihuka Adventure Diving offers dives 6 days a week, Monday to Saturday at 9am, 11:30 am and 2pm. They offer guided dives that are not chummed. Equipment rental is available at the center for an additional cost.

Waihuka does not take direct bookings.

Bookings are available through all of the Dive Centers here on Roatan once on the island. If you will be staying at a resort or diving with a certain dive center, please inquire about booking a shark experience through them when you get there, they will handle all the arrangements.
To attend the Roatan Shark Dive you will need to be a certified diver from a recognized agency and have current experience. They will need to see both certification card and validated logbook before you dive.

The last time we were there, our dive op (Mayan Divers) offered to do the bookings for us. We didn't do the dive (big mistake :D) but could have, booked through them. I would assume the same is true for other dive ops on the island. I see no reason to doubt the info on their web page.

That was the protocol when I was there as well. You have to book it through one of the other operators. The reasoning I was given for this was that it gives the other operators a chance to make just a little off of it since the site is apparently "owned" ( I use that term loosely) by Waihuka Divers. When I looked I found the prices differed depending on who you book through. I heard some very interesting stories of other ops trying to dive this site in the past and there were a few underwater shenanigans between guides because of said "ownership". Whether the part about knives being pulled is true or not, I would never support this kind of mentality or behavior from a dive op.

This is a bit contradicting: "the sharks have not been 'chummed' away from their natural environment. Followed by: A snack of fish (1-2 pounds) is kept in a bucket to keep the sharks interested. the sharks have not been ‘chummed’ away from their natural environment

I would contact them myself, but can't seem to find any contact info on their site.
Because....
Waihuka does not take direct bookings.
Just about any dive operator on Roatan can book it for you. We used Coconut Tree Divers. If Infinity Divers can't help you, book with Bananarama next door. Shark Dive :: Dive Center :: Dive Center

If you can't find a group going, a cab will probably cost you about $25 ea way (or less if you negotiate). A shared van is $10. The dive site is just off the airport and the airport -> West Bay fare was $25+ last time I noticed.

Cool, thanks for the info everyone. It looks like $100 is the standard price listed on the sites for Infinity, Mayan, and Bananarama. I'm guessing I'll be fine just walking around when I check in on Tuesday afternoon to see which shop can get me out there on Thursday (maybe I'll throw out a couple of emails just to be safe). Thanks again for the info...looking forward to it!

This is a bit contradicting: "the sharks have not been 'chummed' away from their natural environment. Followed by: A snack of fish (1-2 pounds) is kept in a bucket to keep the sharks interested. the sharks have not been ‘chummed’ away from their natural environment
I think what they mean is that the sharks have been hanging out in that spot way before they started taking divers there.

Cool, thanks for the info everyone. It looks like $100 is the standard price listed on the sites for Infinity, Mayan, and Bananarama. I'm guessing I'll be fine just walking around when I check in on Tuesday afternoon to see which shop can get me out there on Thursday (maybe I'll throw out a couple of emails just to be safe). Thanks again for the info...looking forward to it!

Native Sons told me they could book it for $90. Just $10 difference but if you're looking to save a little $$....

Nice thanks for the heads up. I'll contact them along with West Bay Divers and Mayan this afternoon. I hit another strike with Bananarama as they only take people on the shark dive who have dived with them before and I may not have time to squeeze in an extra dive w/ them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom