Lightweight BCD - Suggestions ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wantonmien

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

Trying to cut down weight on dive gear (due to ever decreasing flight allowances) and so intend buying a lighter weight BCD than current Mares.

Don't want a wing as prefer jacket style BCD - so has anyone and suggestions on "light weight" BCD's - ie: 2kg weight or less - good or bad points ?

Cheers

Just basic looking found a Litehawk (2.6kg) from Scubapro and Edge T2 Travel (2.38 to 2.49) There is alsot he Mares F-Light (2.2kg) and Oceanic Biolight (About 5.5lbs). Sherwood has the Ventura at under 5lbs (so around the 2kg mark). Anything lighter and I think your only options is gonna be a Kydex BP from DSS and wing, which as you said, you don't want to do.

Aqualung Zuma is supposed to be very light although never dove one it looks a little flimsy to me. A friends wife owns one and she likes it.

The new one from Zeagle is a light weight < 4 lbs back inflate

Of all the BC's listed above I think the Mares F-light is the only one that actually qualifies as a jacket BC, unless you are defining jacket style as anything that's not a backplate and wing (which in my opinion is not an accurate definition). I think there's a reason the majority of travel BC's are back-inflate. It's just easier to make a lightweight BC out of some harness and attaching a bag to hold air vs. a harness that essentially has to hold air.

I like the Zuma but as some have mentioned it doesn't look very robust. I almost bought one myself but passed bc it does look flimsy. However I have absolutely no factual evidence says it's not a quality piece. In fact the 2 that I know about love them and have had no issues.

http://www.aqualung.com/au/content/view/430

Thanks all,

Also found "Tusa Voyager" and "Cressi Travellight" - both around 2kg - anyone used either, good or bad ?

The "AquaLung Zuma" - I've pinned down a shop in location I am travelling through next week, which has one my size in stock, shop also mentioned though it looks flimsy they've sold a around a dozen and have had no returns, so it's probably on the shopping list, though Tusa model looks decent and as well - decisions decisions !

Cheers

SCUBAPRO - GO - weighs a little more than you want though.
I just did 20+ dives in the GO.

I really liked it; very comfortable.
It comes w/ a travel sac, extremely compact.
The Large weighs in at 2.6 kgs.

A smaller size less.

Back
Top Bottom