Marseille and surrounding areas in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob Wilks

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello European brothers and sisters...
Im headed out to Marseille from California soon and would love some dive site and boat recommendations. Happy to be headed somewhere warm... Love my dry suit and all, but i need a break sometimes...
Peace and blessings...
Rob

Hi Rob

Marseille is quite a big city, about 1 million people leaving there, driving is not allways easy. So, it would be better to say where you will stay in the city.

What you have to know is that the bay is a windy area, when the north wind blows it becomes very difficult to dive there and the watter temp drop down to 14° 12°C even in summer, so...don't forget your dry suit .
icosm14.gif

If you like wreck diving there is much to do there between Marseille and Toulon, but it's mostly deep diving( 50 - 60 m)
Just by Toulon the Hyeres islands are the place to dive.

The eastern road between Marseille and Cassis is fabulous, Cassis is a pleasant small city and is also a nice place for diving.

Thank Air One!
Ill look into the options you sent along to me. I appreciate your time. Im not a wreck diver, So Cassis ill check out. I was hoping to leave my cold water behind though... At least ill be used to it. Thanks again for your time. Be well.

I said Cassis was nice, but not the best place for diving.
During summer, it is often crowdy and difficult to get your car to the the harbour.
It is also not easy to go to la pointe rouge in the south of Marseille which is very close from the best spots, the parking is often full up. It's much better to avoid the WE and french hollidays.( roughly july and August ).

Don't forget that it's quite easy to go to Toulon, the motorway starts in the city center, east side.

If you are a bit lucky, it won't be windy and the water temp will be 25°C:)

If your accom is located on Marseille west side ( yo !) you'd better go diving on la côte bleue, at Carry Le Rouet, there is a couple of Padi dive center there.

Ow, I forgot to tell you about the stupid french rules : you will have to present a medical certificate saying you're fit to dive.
If you get in touch with a dive op ask him if you can do it at home before to come.

Great info my friend! Good thing Ive just had a physical and my doc will give me a med cert pronto! I thank you very much for this!
Thank you for your time and thoughtfulness Air One. We have a couple of weeks in the area, so I may be able to get to a few places you've told me about. If you ever get out to the central coast of california, give me a PM. Point Lobos is a wonderful place to dive... My back yard!
Diving | Point Lobos Foundation. Hope this interests you...
Merci pour votre temps...

just join the forum
If you go to Presqu'ile de Giens one of the best dive is Tombant de la Gabinière. It is located in the Hyères Islands, in a protected area so a lot of fishes (groupers, barracudas...) depth fron 15 to 30 m
From Cavalaire you can dive on "Le Rubis" a submarine (sank by the Navy as a sonar target) Max depth 40 m, the wreck is complete on a sand bed; this is probably one of the best wreck dive in the area (no need to penetrate)
I used to dive with Mio Palmo located in Cavalaire Port area.
For the temperature it is true that with North wind called Mistral it can drop down, but usually it is over 20°C and no need for a dry suit, a 7mm wet is OK.On my last dive on The Rubis in Oct 2012 I had 25 on surface and 22 at bottom.
I am living in South west of France close to the Spain border, if you come in this area we have nice dive as well.
:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom