Travel Spear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flyfishnut

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi All,
I make a trip or two to the Caribbean every year and use Hawaiian slings and I'm tired of buying and leaving my spears down there. Is there a place I can get two pc spears that I can check and return home with instead of giving them away??

I've looked and looked and don't see any on the inter web

Thanks,
FFN

Thanks for sharing that. (The holster looks good on her :)

I wonder if that spear would fit through the hole of my sling? I'll see if I can get the diameter of the spear. I could always "waller" out the hole of my sling too, I guess.

Thanks for sharing that. (The holster looks good on her :)

I wonder if that spear would fit through the hole of my sling? I'll see if I can get the diameter of the spear. I could always "waller" out the hole of my sling too, I guess.

The foldspear already has a sling built in.
I've given away a foldspear, but it was because I wanted to, not because there's ever been a problem with transporting one in my checked luggage.

I read your OP too quickly, didn't see the Hawaiian sling part. I don't think that the foldspear would work that great for a Hawaiian sling. Too much texture on the outside, and if it bound up at all in the hole, it may come apart.

How does the fold spear perform compared to a hawaiian sling? I really like the H-Sling. Very accurate and good speed.

??
The Foldspear, like any other polespear, is going to have a little less range than a Hawaiian sling. Polespears have other advantages though, like being able to shoot one-handed so that you can shoot under ledges, around coral heads, and across your body to the side. There is the advantage of portablility, the Foldspear and holster are only 14" long when folded and put in a dive bag or suitcase. Polespears are larger diameter and don't go through the fish, like sometimes happens with the thin Hawaiian sling shafts. Polespears are harder to lose underwater, and are quicker to reload for another shot than a sling.

I'm not aware of any breakdown Hawaiian sling shafts that are made for travel. I think a polespear like the Foldspear will always be better if you're flying to a destination.

Hi All,
.....Is there a place I can get two pc spears that I can check and return home with instead of giving them away??

Yes !!

But you might have to do a little cutting and grinding to them. I don't think others understand your goal. You basically want a spear shaft (not a pole spear) that you can break in half and put back in your luggage to take home so you don't leave a $60 shaft behind.

Both Riffe and JBL have 'break down' shafts that screw together in the middle yielding 2 pieces about 27 inches each. I can't speak for the Riffe model, but I have seen it on the Jupiter Fl boats and it's a strong staft

I use the JBL Travel speargun which has the 2 piece, unscrew in half, spear shaft (plus add a speartip for 3 parts). I can easily pack it in my luggage and get a 48" gun. I have broken the 2 part shaft but it was because I was in Santa Barbara shooting Calico's and hit a boulder behind the fish. JBL was great on ordering a couple of replacement 2 part shafts. Tips also are screw on so you can pick, single flopper, double or even slip tip for the shaft.

Now the part that I don't know about is is how your hawaiian sling end tip is cut. You might have to do some grinding is you don't use the 'cap' method on the sling. If not it will work perfectly with the cap(cup) method.

As for strength, I have taken down a 32 inch 14 pound grouper with the 2 part spear and it didn't snap. Like any other shaft, you just need to get a good brain shot cause spearo's know that it's accuracy that kills, not power.

I didn't do alot of searching but here is a picture of one half of the 2 part spear that will solve your problem, but I have ordered both parts directly from JBL with no problem.

Spring Stainless Steel Shaft 27" for JBL Travel Magnum Spearguns - JoeDiverAmerica.com

spearfishing.cc ray odor. he can custom make shafts for you at a damn good price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom