Usd/travelers checks/lempira

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmneus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is it easier to use USD or the local currency or is it all the same? I'm wanting to buy local produce and shop at the markets and things like that and wondering if it's just easier to switch my cash. What about travelers checks? Does everyone accept them?

I found that USD works well everywhere and some locals prefer it, the exchange rate is easy at 20:1. You can exchange travelers checks at some of the banks, but we found that to be an adventure in and of itself. Some of the larger places take credit cards but most prefer not to because of the banking system and the length of time it takes to get their money.

On our first trip we were buying some small souvenirs before we left and discussing prices with the gal. We had some Lempiras left and thought we'd use them up and when the gal saw we were going to not pay in USD you'd a thought we ruined her day. I'd just stick with USD, we used it for most everything.

You can use both Dollars or Lempira. I chose to use Lempira as that is what you're going to get back in change, regardless of what you give them (the only time I got dollars in change was at some of the busier bars). The conversion rates are simple and I found it interesting that if you pull out a $20 note in dollars, many small establishments won't take them. If you pull out the same amount in Lempira, no issues.

It was years ago but I was able to pay my dive bill and hotel bill with TCs. I haven't bothered with TCs in years, as they are more trouble than they are worth. I take US cash in $20 and smaller. I use the $20 at the store and get lemps as change for use in the bar. Make sure all US bills are crisp with no tatters. Old bills may not be accepted.

Last edited:
All the banks are in Coxen Hole or French Harbor. They're probably about the only places you can use a traveler's check - maybe at one of the bigger resorts also if you were buying a large ticket item - or paying your room/diving bill. Our dive operator didn't even want lempira especially when I went to settle up - he allowed me to pay him via PayPal after I'd returned to the States. I suspect that was more for tax purposes. I had a lot of lemps left so I stuffed them in the tip box. We'd done over 20 dives with them and the crew wouldn't let us carry/clean anything.

We were a group of 7 - even at better restaurants cash was preferred. My friend might have used a traveler's check once at Argentinean Grille but our dinners there were in the $200/range with drinks.

I paid in dollars and never received anything but lempira back as change throughout the West End. I personally didn't have any problem using 20's. The West End is very much a hard currency based area. None of the street vendors, many of the smaller restaurants can handle anything else. Network service is so sporadic that many don't even have a machine. If you eat at Sundowner's pay in lemps - they had a horrible exchange rate - we figured that out the 2nd time there.

One of two ATM's at the airport speaks English, takes Cirrus and dispenses Lempira. It's at one of the entrances - I used it mid-week. Don't rely on any of the West End ATM's working. Once or twice IIRC we might have used a credit card at the Coconut Tree Store - but his machine was down a lot of the time also.

If you need one:

ATM Locations

West Bay: Mayan Princess, West Bay Mall (Credomatic)

West End: Gas Station, and at the small hotel next to Coconut Tree - my edit: I'm pretty sure there's a third one in the West End village area also. Somewhere around Sueno Del Mar. I think my friends got cash there one night.

Coxen Hole: HSBC Bank, Credomatic Placa Mar, and the Roatan International Airport (two)

French Harbor: HSBC, Eldens Supermarket

MegaPlaza Mall: Banco Continental, BAC Credomatic, Banpais, and Banco Atlantida

Jackson Plaza: Texaco and HSBC

Last edited:
I was always able to get cash at the gas station ATM when the others were empty but perhaps the word is out now and so may no longer be the case. Not once was I able to get cash from ATM at Coconut tree location. Anyway, like I said all just too much trouble. I just bring cash with me. Hide it here and there, as the other poster said. When I get lemps they go in one pocket and dollars in the other. I spend lemps at the bar (ie Sundowner's). Also no purse for me, just cargo shorts. Lots of pockets. :) you are going to have a blast. Don't sweat the small stuff. Be more concerned about bug spray. :)

Last edited:
If you eat at Sundowner's pay in lemps - they had a horrible exchange rate - we figured that out the 2nd time there.

That's funny, I found that the prices of drinks would change as well depending on which corner of the bar you ordered from. Prices on the chalkboard were even different if you looked carefully (nobody usually does).

+1 on making sure your bills are crisp and new. I just remembered there is another ATM in West End (not counting the gas station, Coconut or the third that is farther down by Blue Marlin) that was in the bottom floor of an unmarked building that was going in at the time. It may have a business running in it now and they may have moved the machine but it was in-between the other 2 on the same side of the street (opposite the beach).

I can confirm the additional West End ATMs mentioned by scubafied and diversteve, making 4 in total. +1 on not being able to get the one near Coconut Tree to work. On the other hand I have always been able to get cash from the machine in West Bay Mall....maybe just lucky with my timing.

HA! Yes, I hadn't even thought about bug spray yet. Honestly I'm just a little nervous going by myself but I know I will be fine! Lol.

Don't be nervous about going by yourself. The first time I went was by myself for a week before my buddy arrived and then again a week afterwards. Just keep your wits about you.

I still go to Roatan in equal parts with a buddy and without. I've been adopted just about every time I'm by myself. Fun! Still friends with some. Yay!

Geez, I'm getting all homesick for the place.

I predict you will have a wonderful time that may change your life. Also predict few problems accessing funds. There's always a way and if you are having trouble getting money from cash machines so will be others. Then there will be a group trip to town or something. Take some cash with you to get your trip started for a few days while you become acclimated. Stay ahead on the cash situation.

Best to plan trips to at atm in am or early afternoon.

Keep your passport and cards safe to the best of your ability. This does NOT mean carrying them on your person. Take a copy of your passport and keep it separate from other documents.

Keep telephone numbers for any credit card(s) in case you need to call to report stolen or get a transaction accepted. Again keep those number separate.

To help in advance be sure to call your bank and cc company to tell them your travel schedule and what you anticipate you may charge or withdraw.

Don't flash cash or take any jewelry of value. Keep any electronics on the down low.

You've already traveled so probably already know a bunch of this stuff.

Be open and friendly with all but not a target for locals or other travelers.

Most important is bug stuff, sun screen, and more than one bathing suit.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom