Why are CA dive boats so different?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lopez116

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
With the exception of a couple boats, why are our dive boats tugboat-like? I'm not sure what the right terminology is but, they all have the same sort of look to them... Forgive my ignorance, but Is is something about our conditions that make these kinds of boats desirable in CA?

On another note, why are CA dive charters so different than places outside the US (ie you setup your own gear, sometimes have to bring your own tanks, no DM in the water with you)?

Interesting observation. I suspect that it is due to evolution. California charter boat diving started before there were “dive boats”, dive masters, onboard compressors, “vacation divers”, or insurance issues. Many boats were charter sport fishing or small commercial fishing boats with a ladder kluged to the stern. Business is all about customer expectations. Considering most west coast divers’ first experience is on west coast boats, that sets expectations.

As for guided tours… hard to imagine in a kelp forest and 10' of visibility.

Perhaps the lack of customer support on the CA dive boats is due to the fact that they get very few visiting tourist divers, who are looking for a "resort" experience?

Our boats in the PNW are exactly the same, in the sense that you set up and swap out your own gear, and nobody is put in the water as a guide. But our boats don't serve the amazing food that the SoCal boats do!

I can't comment on the hull design issues, but as to the role of the DMs, I can.

California DMs don't get into the water with you and lead divers around on a "tour" because (a) conditions - especially vis - are rarely conducive to diving in large groups and divers would get lost and (b) California divers like to explore the great plethora of life in every part of divesite and don't need to travel far underwater to find neat critters. It's a lot safer to have the DM on the boat, ready to jump in to help a diver in need. (That said, visiting and new divers are encouraged to hire their own DM to dive with them. That would be in addition to the "boat's DM.")

Also, most California divers have their own gear and dive regularly. Many of us don't like other folks, no matter what their certification level, handling our gear.

I think there are 2 reasons that DM's are typically in the water in Southern Florida 1) divers are required to tow a dive flag, the DM provides this service and 2) the DM's know the dives/reefs and you will get the best experience for your dollar if you have a guide. The boat that I dive will absolutely let qualified groups or individuals do their own dive but with the exception of hunters, divers rarely do.

I have yet to have anyone set up or break down my gear...

Thanks for everyone's insight. I tend to prefer the lack of an in-water DM and the ability to do my own thing.

I think Akimbo may be right regarding the evolution (or lack thereof - depending on how you look at it) of California dive boats. It's kind of a drag that most of the boats down here take 2 + hours to get to Catalina when it's only 20 ish miles away...

Thanks for everyone's insight. I tend to prefer the lack of an in-water DM and the ability to do my own thing.

I think Akimbo may be right regarding the evolution (or lack thereof - depending on how you look at it) of California dive boats. It's kind of a drag that most of the boats down here take 2 + hours to get to Catalina when it's only 20 ish miles away...

I think the big reason why boat charters are different in SoCal than foreign locations is the market is primarily regular local divers rather than a continuing group of revolving tourists. In the Florida Keys boats tend to run like foreign dive locations, tanks and weights included, DM in the water, more assistance to the diver, etc. because they have lots of tourist divers. Go north up the Florida coast just a few hours towards Jupiter and boats tend to operate more like SoCal boats, no tanks or weights included, maybe no In water DM, less assistance to the diver. Because that market is also more local than tourist diver.

There are some local fast dive boats than can get to Catalina in a little over an hour. They tend to be smaller. While I sometimes go out on a smaller faster boat I've come to the conclusion that at least for me I prefer the larger boats with bunks for sleeping on the ride out and back even if the ride is longer. Plus the food tends to be better on a bigger boat.

If you want fast boats try Sundiver Express, Selky Charters or the Sea Bass. Out of Ventura try the Raptor.

"TRADITION!"- Fiddler on the roof

The world's first dive charter boat was the "Maray" owned and operated by the late great Mort Toggweiler which operated out of the old, no longer in operation, "Peirpoint landing" beginning in 1950. The original cost for an all day trip to Catalina was $5.00 hard earned SoCal dollars. About 1957 the price was increased to $7.00 hard earned SoCal dollars - the rest is history...now a trip cost an arm and at least half of a leg....

The world's first deck hand aka "Dive master" on the Maray was Mr.Ron Merker. Ron has many claims to fame the least of which he he was Dr. Bill's Basic SCUBA instructor.

The term "Dive Master" was created by the LA County UW Instructors association in the very early1960s as part of their instructor's program to identify one who was in charge of a "Dive Team" in the three month long instructor training program the UICC. The term was given even more publicity in 1967 when the world's first true Advanced Diving Program was created by LA Co Underwater Instructors Association, the three month long famed LA County ADP.

The majority of divers in SoCal, where it all began, were LA Co trained and were well equipped with experienced and knowledge to dive in SoCal and didn't need a guide to hold their hand while diving. Things began changing with the advent of the diving instructor alphabet in the mid 1970s and the traveling diver

Now the term "Dive Master" has morphed into any fuzzy faced kid who has minimal experience and very little diving knowledge but is in charge as a "Dive Master."

Dr. SAM

CA dive boats may be "so different" from boats outside the US, but CA dive boats aren't all that different from Atlantic (I'm thinking NC) dive boats.

Has anyone tried offering a "resort" boat experience in SoCal?

There are a few boats here that do supply tanks, (AL80's or LP steel), and weights.
A few can arrange full rental gear upon your arrival also.
I frequent 2 or 3 different boats and have noticed that out of say 20 divers up to 5 may be "non local". Out of state or country.
I agree with diverrex that now I just enjoy the good food and a place to relax (bunks) with a nap for the trip over and back.
Heck some even have a sun deck to enjoy.
Thanks Sam for the history lesson, always enjoy your posts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom