Daylight savings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I read in someone's trip report recently that Honduras does not observe daylight savings. I remember something about that last trip. So I am wondering, does that mean they are on US "mountain time" right now? I kinda remember not having to change my watch, but that was in Nov.

They tried doing the clock change thing a few years back.

It was as sadly comical as it was short lived. Seeing stuff like that happen really broadens your understanding of why the country as a whole is locked in poverty.

I read in someone's trip report recently that Honduras does not observe daylight savings. I remember something about that last trip. So I am wondering, does that mean they are on US "mountain time" right now? I kinda remember not having to change my watch, but that was in Nov.

According to Honduras Time Zone - Honduras Current Time

Honduras
is in the
Central Standard Time Zone
UTC/GMT - 6

They also say that Honduras does not utilize daylight saving time.

They tried doing the clock change thing a few years back.

It was as sadly comical as it was short lived. Seeing stuff like that happen really broadens your understanding of why the country as a whole is locked in poverty.

Don't tell this to anyone from Arizona.

I have a teenager do this technical stuff for me.

Well, no, actually I never bothered about the clock thing. Would that change the deco tables if I was still on GMT?

:wink:

No, they don't do DST anywhere in Central America I don't think. They are on Central Standard Time so you probably did change your watches & computers in November if you arrived after the time change in NM, but that depends as time change is the first Sunday in November so you might have arrived before? This time you will not need to change if you are going before then. When I search google for time Honduras, to confirm, it gives...
11:33 PM
Monday, May 27, 2013 (CST)
Time in Honduras
Same time as New Mexico.

thanks, so I guess we will need to adjust our dive computers by an hour when we get there.
No. CST is the same as MDT so if you are arriving before the first Sunday in November, leave them alone and they will track the time of your dives fine. It would be prudent to check the time on your computers of course.

DST becomes far less relevant the closer you get to the equator as the length of the day does not change significantly from winter to summer. In Roatan sunrise varies less than 1 hour seasonally whereas in Chicago sunrise varies up to 4 hours from winter to summer, thus the justification for starting the day 1 hour earlier becomes clear.

DST is not observed in Hawaii and Roatan is approximately 5 degrees farther south.

.... in Chicago sunrise varies up to 4 hours from winter to summer, thus the justification for starting the day 1 hour earlier becomes clear.....

Not so sure how clear that is along about December 21st. Just about as clear as everything else is here in Chicago.

Back
Top Bottom