Lets hear your plans!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tractor Tom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I won't be diving for another two months (eye surgury on the 28th) but love to plan the next diving season in my mind.

I promised Dave (cldwdiver) that we'd get to Gilboa again, at least once before our 'Winter Diving Pass' runs out the end of April.

The Dive Shop in Flint is planning a trip to Mackinaw City to dive some of the wrecks there this year (can I hope to dive the Cedarville?) and we will be making another trip to Tobermory some time this year too. There is also talk about diving in Kingston/Brockville this season too, but I don't know that I would want to make that trip again.

Also, I have been talking to a couple of 'shirt tail' family members about a trip out to Lake Huron off the thumb for some wreck diving there in the spring. Perhaps a charter to dive the wrecks off Port Sanilac.

Along with all of that, I'd like to get to Traverse City to make some dives in the Bay. Dave was raised there, and knows all the best places to poke around and dive there. Would like to work that out for sometime in the summer.

Who else has plans/goals/diving dreams for the coming season????

We should have a Gilboa Get together sometime in the relatively near future...I will make it this time...

The Cedarville is a wonderful wreck BTW....Massive....it sure was a great dive last summer. I may or may not make it back up to the straits this year....that was an awesome trip.

frankenmuth_tom:
I won't be diving for another two months (eye surgury on the 28th) but love to plan the next diving season in my mind.

I promised Dave (cldwdiver) that we'd get to Gilboa again, at least once before our 'Winter Diving Pass' runs out the end of April.

The Dive Shop in Flint is planning a trip to Mackinaw City to dive some of the wrecks there this year (can I hope to dive the Cedarville?) and we will be making another trip to Tobermory some time this year too. There is also talk about diving in Kingston/Brockville this season too, but I don't know that I would want to make that trip again.

Also, I have been talking to a couple of 'shirt tail' family members about a trip out to Lake Huron off the thumb for some wreck diving there in the spring. Perhaps a charter to dive the wrecks off Port Sanilac.

Along with all of that, I'd like to get to Traverse City to make some dives in the Bay. Dave was raised there, and knows all the best places to poke around and dive there. Would like to work that out for sometime in the summer.

Who else has plans/goals/diving dreams for the coming season????

Let us know when the water temps at Gilboa warm up a bit, perhaps the high 60's. Don and I are hoping to get down there this year. Last summer, we planned to go but we were working on improving our buoyancy skills, then Don was land locked because he was facing some major surgery. That is over now, he is doing great and we are planning to dive in Aruba and perhaps Barbados in early February. When it gets a bit warmer up here, we will start practicing in the quarries (probably Portage) and work up the courage to join many of you at Gilboa.We would love to try some lake/wreck diving but really need to stay between 30-60 feet. Any ideas ,let us know. We had a blast last summer diving for bottles in the St Clair river, even though the viz was pretty limited. We are looking forward to meeting some of you this summer. Frankenmuth-Tom, Good Luck with your surgery!

Big-t-2538:
We should have a Gilboa Get together sometime in the relatively near future...I will make it this time...

The Cedarville is a wonderful wreck BTW....Massive....it sure was a great dive last summer. I may or may not make it back up to the straits this year....that was an awesome trip.

Big-T, as I recall, some members of the KPP has already offered to join as there. Do you people think that we should do this or stay warm a little while longer? LOL

My plans include my annual trip to Tobermory in July, one or two trips to Alpena, and a trip to the Straits along with whatever other diving that I can fit in. I am normally available to fill seats on charters (HINT).

Possibly, I will do a Upper Peninsula trip this year, but I have to see how the money goes.

LOL! My season is quickly filling up. It will be nice to have a hectic dive schedule. I have charters planned to Kingston, Pt. Pelee, Wheatley, Mackinaw, Whitefish Point, Sanilac and Harbor Beach.

I'm also running my local club's Buddyline program. Local / non-charter dives to just get wet, check gear out and work on skills. We've scheduled dives from April to November. Right now we have Union Lake, Orchard Lake, White Star Quarry, Monroe Quarry, Gilboa Quarry, Clark Lake, Spring Mill Pond, Portage Quarry, Silver Lake and Baw Beese on the schedule. A few of the locations are on multiple times. From the top of my head I do remember that two of our Whitestar weekends are mid-May and mid-October.

We're also looking at doing a full weekend at a quarry a bit further away from Detroit than others to try out a new location. We were thinking about going to Nelson Ledges Quarry. Any feedback?

Paula

p.s. We usually hang a club banner at the quarries - Ford Sea Lancers. Stop by and say hello if you see us.

My wife and I had our first child in November, so I expect that there will be somewhat less dive time in my schedule his year than in previous years.
That being said, I will be in Tobermory June 26 to July 10, and probably for a few weekends as well. Otherwise, I'll be diving under the Bluewater Bridge in Sarnia, Gilboa, some Western Lake Erie, and hopefully another trip to the Wexford. Hopefully a few more.

The U.P. is a good spot for some cheap diving.
Munising has both campgrounds & boat rentals, plus that Lake Superior water was known for its clarity long before the Zebes showed up.
Besides, where else are ya going to find any decent pasties?
http://www.pasty.com/

...if they offer you GRAVY with it, DON'T EAT IT. Go to a shop where no one speaks of gravy, and you have yourself a REAL pastie.

For those of you not dialed into what pasties are, follow Bob3's link. Some of my favorite things to search out and eat. One of my favorite places to get them is a little place in Epoufette on US 2.

I guess Pasties should be a different thread, as I can sing their praises all day long!

We're off to Roatan 2/28 (can't wait). A few of us are discussing a trip to Les Escoumins this summer. Otherwise, it's the Straits, Whitefish, Union Lake, Orchard Lake, Maceday, and, of course, the quarries.

Looks like some ice diving is a GOOD possibility...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom