Will I be happy in Roatan in Feb? Rainy? Chilly? I'll be in the West End....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmneus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So, before I get into it, I want you to know planning a trip like this with such a tight budget is nerve wracking...I want to stick to my budget but I don't want to end up going at a bad time cuz the plane ticket is cheaper/staying at a bad place cuz it costs less money etc. and not enjoying myself. So, the last obstacle I've come across is this....
So I was planning to go in March until I realized the plane tickets were about $400-$500 more. Is it warm enough, dry enough, in Feb on the West End? I've read such a mixed pot of answers all over the web. I hesitated when the owner of the place I'm staying said they "may get rain" in Feb. Is this the typical afternoon sprinkle she's talking about or.....
Is it worth saving the extra money and waiting until May-August to go or will I be ok in Feb?
Be honest, this is a big deal for me, I don't get to go on diving trips a few times a year.....so this is it for awhile. :)
Thank you.

What can we tell you? There are no guarantees on weather anywhere. I've not been on Roatan in February thst I can recall but in Belize a few times and have friends that go to Belize a rally in February. Sometimes there's a little system called a "norther" come through.

I also don't understand why the flights would be that much higher in price and has not been my experience. Perhaps you are trying to book your flights too soon.

I think you need help plane shopping, aside from your core question. From Milwaukee to Roatan, one plane change only each way, looking at 5-9 nights in February runs $658 & up. March: $786 & up. There's lots of variety in fares on exact dates and number of nights, but not $400-500 more.

But then I don't know your original airport for sure, much less your other plans. Be sure to have Departure tax money when you leave. I have seen people begging for such at airports.

there's definitely a bigger chance of rain in february than in march. if you want no rain, exceptional viz and cheap prices go during low season, may-sept. for diving they are my favorite months of the year in the bay islands.

All over the web? I would say that you've seen an extremely consistent answer on SCUBABoard.

You seem to be posing a subjective question with the use of the word "enough".

I've read reviews where people say it is amazing, beautiful weather, and I've read reviews where people say it's chances for rain and storms are high...so yes, a mixed lot.
The ticket is $727 with one two hour layover, all the others I've found (even speaking with travel agents) have really long layovers and jump to over $1000 in March.
I think I need to stop screwing around and worrying and just buy the darn thing.

I wouldn't buy tickets for next Feb now... you should wait awhile, IMHO. Prices are high right now, but will fluctuate quite a bit. Also, I have found that booking 5+ months in advance flight schedules have changed on me, and made a mess. One trip we booked the flights changed times leaving us with only 30 minute layover, no way we could make it. We weren't notified either. We found it by accident about 2 weeks before our trip, had to call the airline and beg to get us put on another flight. They acted like we had done something wrong, too. Sucked big time. This was not a flight to Roatan, but just to let you know... booking flights months and months in advance is not always a good idea.

The ticket is $727 with one two hour layover, all the others I've found (even speaking with travel agents) have really long layovers and jump to over $1000 in March.
I think I need to stop screwing around and worrying and just buy the darn thing.
I still think you need better help shopping. What days of the week would you like to travel, and from where exactly? April looks cheaper, May 2014 is not available yet, but booking so far in advance will lead to problems as suggested.

Capture.jpg

Last edited:
I still think you need better help shopping. What days of the week would you like to travel, and from where exactly? April looks cheaper, May 2014 is not available yet, but booking so far in advance will lead to problems as suggested.

QUOTE]

Ok....thank you. I will wait.

Where are you leaving from and what airline are you planning to book? I ask because the flight price from Calgary to Roatan in February is a decent price right now, whereas you have noted, that March is a bit high. This would not generally be my recommendation but all things considered you may actually want to book your February flight now. Book last week of the month within the parameters of flight schedules. Myself, when a longer period can not be taken, I book from a Saturday arrival to a Sunday departure, doesn't normally change flight price and I can squeeze in one more day on the island.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom