Now, it`s time for me too ;-)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Safety Stop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Nikon D7100....check, Nikkor 60 mm on his way, 2X Sea & Sea YS-D1 on there way and now waiting for Auquatica housing to hit the market ;-)

Enjoy!

Update : Received this week a pair of Sea&Sea YS-D1 and Nikkor 60mm marco. On there way : Tokina 10-17mm and Kenko Teleplus PRO 300 DGX 1.4x TC. Still waiting for the Aquatica housing to hit the market and see from there, what kind of arms I will use. If at the end, it`s an heavy setup, I might consider buoyancy arms fromULCS. For those who have almost the same setup, what do you think about the right choice of arms?

You will need the bouyancy arms, mine feels like I'm draging around a corpse. I'll have forearms like popeye soon.

I use ULCS double bouyancy arms (8inch and 5 inch per strobe) for my Ikelite ds161 strobes. My Aquatica AD7000 housing with 8inch dome and Aquaview viewfinder and strobes is just about Neutral. Your YS-D1 are much lighter so I don't know what combination of arms you might need. The other option is to buy the Stik floats which attach to the arms and you can chop and chnage to get perfect balance in your setup. Once you sorted out the weighting of your setup it makes it so much easier to use and you dont have to worry about "Ikelite" arm (the sore arm you get after diving with an Ikelite housing and strobes) and thinking your bent from doing multiple dives on a liveaboard.

Thats another thing. I recommend the Aquaview viewfinder for the Aquatica housings or even the Nauticam viewfinder. Its an expensive bit of glass but once you use one you never dive without it, especially for macro.

Regards Mark

Are saying the Ikelite housing is more heavier than the Aquatica?

.. you dont have to worry about "Ikelite" arm (the sore arm you get after diving with an Ikelite housing and strobes) and thinking your bent from doing multiple dives on a liveaboard.

The normal viewfinder on the housing is not good enough?

..Thats another thing. I recommend the Aquaview viewfinder for the Aquatica housings or even the Nauticam viewfinder. Its an expensive bit of glass but once you use one you never dive without it, especially for macro.

---------- Post added June 17th, 2013 at 11:38 AM ----------

Great Canadian Product ;-)

Why not go for the Nauticam housing that is in the market now?

Shooting a Ikelite DSLR the only real strobe choice you have are the DS125,DS160/1. These are big heavy strobes and when someone buys a Ikelite housing and strobes they normally buy Ikelite arms to go with it. So when you have a complete Ikelite DSLR setup with twin Ikelite strobes you are going to have a heavy in the water housing. The way around this is to use bouyancy arms like those from ULCS or use the stiks foam floats to take the negative bouyancy out of the setup.

Using a DSLR is all about looking through the lens and seeing what you are shooting. The more you can see the easier it is to shoot and to compose that shot. This is where the viewfinder comes in. Its expensive but I now I would never dive without one. Have a look at someones setup with a viewfinder and compare to standard viewfinder..........and see the difference first hand.

Regarding housing preference I prefer Aquatica becasue of the housing is mostly metal parts when you compare Nauticam's which contain alot of plastic buttons. Best idea is to compare both housings next to each other and open them up and have look inside. Play with them both and compare the feel of them. Look at the parts on the inside and outside and make your own decision up which housing is going to handle the most abuse.

Regards Mark

Update : Received my Tokina 10-17mm and Kenko Teleplus PRO 300 DGX 1.4x TC. Now I have to wait for the Aquatica housing...but for how long ;-)​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom