padi sidemount diver vs tec sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Sidemount is one of the next things on my dive to-do/to-try list. I'm planning on taking Tec 40 sometime later this summer, and while I know it can be done in a single tank, if I progress further, I know doubles will be involved at some point, in some form, so I'm thinking I'd want to do Tec 40 in sidemount. Common sense tells me I'd need some sidemount training first... Trying to find out what's involved and the differences between Sidemount Diver and Tec Sidemount, the padi site doesn't really say much at all. Can anybody tell me what's involved in the courses and what extra is covered in the tech version that's not in the recreational course? I would ask the instructor who I'll probably get the training from, but he's out of town and my inquiring mind is impatient. :dork2:

In a nutshell, the PADI Tec Sidemount contains everything from the 'Sidemount Diver' course, but adds the use of stages/deco cylinders (2+), along with simulated decompression, reg-swap to access gas and a few theory components from the Tec40 course. For a non-tech trained diver, it functions as a Sidemount + Intro Tech combo. If you are already technical qualified, it functions as a comprehensive tech-level equipment cross-over from backmount.

The PADI Sidemount Diver course is an equipment-usage focused course, providing all necessary training and knowledge to use sidemount doubles (and singles) in open-water/no-deco. In addition to set-up, fitting and configuration, then in-water training replicates many core scuba drills using the new equipment (i.e. air-sharing, buoyancy etc), along with specific sidemount skills, like tank balancing/regulator switching. One good thing about the course is that it put quite a lot of emphasis on good trim, buoyancy, weighting and propulsion (much more so than any other PADI recreational/specialty course).

If you are interested in using sidemount for technical diving, you should be aware that PADI have now authorized a 'combined' Tec Sidemount/Tec40/45/50 option. This saves you time and money because it removes superfluous overlap from the courses. The instructor (obviously) has to be authorized to teach both courses...

PADI Tec Sidemount includes a lot of "Intro to Tec" type of information and covers some similar subject information as Tec 40. Tec Sidemount includes working with two deco/stage cylinders. There was some discussion of allowing one or two of the Tec Sidemount dives count for the Tec 40 dives (or vice versa) if taken at the same time because the material is so similar.

Your best 2 options are:
1) do the Tec 40 directly in sidemount
2) do the PADI Sidemount then the Tec 40 in sidemount.
I would not recommend the Tec Sidemount course to non-tec certified divers even if you can take it as an Advanced diver. IMO it introduces too many skills that have little or no application to recreational divers. It is a big step from Advanced. It is however a great course for backmount technical divers with many skills, including some not covered on the Tec 40, 45, 50 courses.
I would also not recommend doing the Tec 40 course with a single tank. As an introductory course to technical diving, it offers a great opportunity to familiarise yourself with the equipment you will actually use for decompression dives in backmount or sidemount. Single tank defeats the point IMHO.

There was some discussion of allowing one or two of the Tec Sidemount dives count for the Tec 40 dives (or vice versa) if taken at the same time because the material is so similar.

2) do the PADI Sidemount then the Tec 40 in sidemount.

Consult Training Bulletin 2nd Quarter 2013 (the latest):

Tec Sidemount and Tec Course Integration
Effective immediately, the Tec Sidemount Diver course can be integrated into the Tec 40, 45 or 50 courses. This allows suitably qualified members to credit their TecRec students with elements of the Tec Sidemount course, and then to complete their training with additional dives.

I got the go-ahead to implement this some time ago - and it works very well. Full details of the integration are on the PADI Pro site, or just drop me a PM for the instructor standards...

Doing the rec sidemount course first can have value for those who are not bought on sidemount yet.

Absolutely, and can still permit subsequent tech instruction in sidemount. The only thing it misses out on is the 'regulator/cylinder switch' - if done as separate courses, I cover this anyways in the Tec40/45/50, to insure it's not missed.

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I missed that bit of the training bulletin or I would have asked a slightly different question. Depending on course scheduling I may do the rec sm course earlier in the summer then Tec 40 later, but having options is nice. Either way, i'll ask the instructor for his 2 cents when he's back in town first.

Make sure to check that sidemount is your instructor's primary rig before you sign up for a course

Yeah, there's a lot being signed-off to teach sidemount who have very little experience, especially at the recreational/basic level (where they don't even have prior experience diving doubles, let alone sidemount).

It's not something you can just walk into (or a 2-day instructor course..) and hope to teach with any significant quality.

Also bear in mind that training can be quite rig-specific. Confirm your potential instructor's familiarity with the rig you've got/are getting. For instance, if the instructor has only ever dove an SMS50, he won't be a lot of help when you want to rig-up a Razor or Stealth...

Back
Top Bottom