why bsac v padi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DORSETBOY

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I learnt to dive through padi, taught through padi and then when I moved back to the uk (having dived frequently in the uk before) got a frosty attitude cos I was a padi diver and not bsac when I wanted to join the local club.

Surely this is going to discourage people from diving in the uk if SOME bsac members are so up themselves.

Hi

I'm sure it will discourage people - I think it's a daft attitude and only reflects badly on those who have it. I must say I haven't gotten any of that trying to join CFT clubs here in Ireland, maybe partly because I'm a DM and they see me as being a bit more advanced, but overall clubs here have had a great attitude. One club even told me that they particularly welcomed PADI divers as opposed to divers from other CFT clubs; apparently club members also learn bad habits from each other and some fresh blood from a different system is a good thing.

Annie

DORSETBOY:
I learnt to dive through padi, taught through padi and then when I moved back to the uk (having dived frequently in the uk before) got a frosty attitude cos I was a padi diver and not bsac when I wanted to join the local club.

Well the answer to that is find a different club.

BSAC clubs are like clubs anywhere; there are some that are great and full of welcoming friendly divers and there are some that are full of idiots and dinosaurs. Don't be too put off as I'm sure you'll be able to find a club that fits your needs.

Best thing to do is ask on the BSAC forum www.bsacforum.co.uk and you should get some pointers to more clubs in your area.

You could also investigate some of the other agencies such as the SAA www.saa.org.uk

Surely this is going to discourage people from diving in the uk if SOME bsac members are so up themselves.

Yeah but let's be honest. Being up themselves is not limited to BSAC club members. :irazz:

HTH
Rob.

fair one, I realise I am generalising tremendously on the basis of my experience of a cople of clubs... just dont like the whole dive politics crap.

DORSETBOY:
fair one, I realise I am generalising tremendously on the basis of my experience of a cople of clubs... just dont like the whole dive politics crap.

Me neither, that's why I'm in a club that doesn't have any politics :laugh:

They do exist, honest!

Cheers,
Rob.

DORSETBOY:

It's also good to keep in mind that the arrogance isn't limited to BSAC. Some of what you are seeing may in fact be a reaction to previous (bad) experiences with PADI divers in that area.

R..

That's also true, I would expect though to get the benefit of the doubt particularly given that I am an instructor. In the same way, when I've ed fun dives and had non-padi divers out with me I've given them the benefit of the doubt as I would any diver.

DORSETBOY:
That's also true, I would expect though to get the benefit of the doubt particularly given that I am an instructor. In the same way, when I've ed fun dives and had non-padi divers out with me I've given them the benefit of the doubt as I would any diver.

Indeed. I don't have much experience diving with BSAC divers but the experiences I have had were very positive. It could be that you just happened across a poor club.

R..

Why do you want to join a club?? All clubs have the odd few tossers in them and if they don't yet there are some waiting to join....

I am PADI and joined a BSAC club for a while - on the whole they were great and I did plenty of diving with them. I don't like BSAC's rules much and think it needs to modernise, but I would join again if we weren't leaving to go to Italy... The thing to do is rise above the odd few members that are idiots - usually they are easy to humiliate as they tend to know FA about what they are talking about.
The thing I found was the cost and that is why I let the membership lapse. Our club was affiliated to the local yacht club and with two sets of fees to pay it didn't make sense money wise. Shame - there were some benefits.

Chris

Cos, Im from swansea and didnt know any other divers up this way in scotland when I came back from abroad. Have had a look at the ukdiving website and met up with a few divers that way, I just feel it's a shame that some of the clubs I looked at locally to me weren't that welcoming and it was made clear to me that it was because of my training agency.

Back
Top Bottom