Diving La Jolla Cove this Saturday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SOCAL_CELT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just seen this weather service report (high surf advisory)-
National Weather Service Watch Warning Advisory Summary

It specifically talks about
LOCATIONS...SOUTH AND SOUTHWEST FACING BEACHES OF ORANGE AND SAN DIEGO COUNTIES AND THE POINT LOMA TO LA JOLLA PORTION OF SAN DIEGO COUNTY WILL SEE THE HIGHEST SURF.

And is in effect until 11am on Saturday

I was planning a dive with 8-9 others at La Jolla Cove Saturday morning, entering the water around 9am for the first dive & probably around 11am for the second. I am not to familiar with how this advisory would effect the diving at the cove, can anyone advise as to whether it would be inadvisable to dive on Saturday (the divers range from recent OW divers to Tech divers) or should we re-arrange to Sunday instead.

I would wait and see. The cove can be pretty bad in the wrong conditions. In the winter when the swell and waves come from the north there is no protection and the waves make the cove very challenging but in the summer (like now) the swell comes in from the south and the cove is protected. When the surf is up you need to know how exit and enter the cove. Look at both Magicseaweed and swellWatch both show the cove as being pretty well protected this weekend. I am planning on diving either the shores or the cove Thursday evening and Sunday morning. I dove the cove twice last weekend so I may switch over to the shores. Also you can call the dive report at 619 221-8824

http://magicseaweed.com/Scripps-Pier-La-Jolla-Surf-Report/296/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom