Santa Monica Pier Break Water Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dytis-sm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I found an old 2004 thread discussing diving the SM Break Water. I have been researching it as I see those rocks peeking out the ocean during low tide and I have been dying to check them out. Although most of the SM beach landscape is sand, that pile of rocks looks interesting. I have done some preliminary research and somebody mentioned asking permission from the Harbor Police or the Coast Guard? Apparently the Pier is considered a terrorist target and they do not like divers around there. No comment on that...(sounds kind of irrational). I saw postings on a Samohi bb from a kid inviting his buddies to free dive for lobsters on the break water 3 months ago which means to me that there is action around there.

Anyone with recent experience?

If you decide to go one weekend, PM me if you're looking for a buddy and don't mind having a nublet around. I've been looking to check out some shore sites.

I haven't dived it, but I've seen divers go out to it. You enter the water about 100 feet north of the pier. It's a long swim, and visibility is usually really bad, but can be decent in the right conditions.
Santa_Monica_Breakwater.jpg

Have been thinking about it for a while. The parking lot next to the pier on your pic above is fairly close to the entry point. It is indeed a long swim but with the right conditions should be ok. I have considered getting there via Kayak or scooter but that makes it more involved... Still in the planning phase.

You have to get permission from the Harbor master to dive there. I did a beach cleanup at the pier a year or so ago and some guys went to dive the rocks afterward. The harbor master was at our briefing so he was there to talk with them, but they needed his permission to dive there. Those rocks used to create a breakwater for a small boat harbor.

There's a harbormaster?

I dove it a couple years ago having sailed a boat up from Marina del Rey and anchored outside the breakwall by 50 yards or so. We swam in through the gaps in the breakwall, though getting out was a bit tricky when the surge picked up. If you do it by boat, you have to be aware of the tide and check the currents before you enter the water. We didn't check with any authorities before diving but we did put up a diver down flag and weren't questioned by Baywatch (who's tender was tied up at the pier).

The day we were there, viz was around 5-7', light surge inside. Pretty much a muck dive, lots of trash floating around. A number of nudis on the wall itself and some crabs, not too many fish as I recall. We did see a small leopard shark at the base of the wall inside. Outside was pretty broken up, a little cleaner water and about the same wildlife. After the dive, I figured I'd had enough of that spot and didn't really want an ear infection. The water quality there has historically been pretty bad but has improved recently. Check the Heal The Bay beach report card before going. Heal the Bay | Beach Report Card

I believe Eco or someone on the westside used to have charter boats go up to the breakwall for night dives occasionally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom