Who rents good UW cameras in the West End?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmneus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Thinking I maybe shouldn't buy one for this trip, just want some good "been there done that" pics and have no uw photo experience. Native Sons doesn't rent them....I found one place that does, but anyone else know of others? What kind of cameras did they rent? Are they easy to use for those of us (me) with no experience?! Then they just put your photos on a disc for you?
Thank you!
Just found Roatan Underwater Camera Rental for Caribbean Club Roatan on Facebook. Is this THE place to go?

Last edited:
Never seen it. Might be better to just buy a cheap digital. They even have cases for Iphones now for UW. My dive bud took one to Yucatan in April, worked fairly well. Good luck

What I do is bring a USB thumb drive and bum my "been there done that" pics off my fellow divers with expensive cameras :D

Coconut Tree Divers has a couple of rentals. It sounds like you have to dive with them to rent one. Rental Gear | Scuba Diving | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | PADI
For an additional cost of USD 25 per dive or USD 30 for the day, we have a couple of Canon PowerShot cameras and housings for rent. Ideal for the PADI Digital Underwater Photographer course, or just to record your vacation memories - we can put your photos on your own SD card, disk or online. Contact us for more information.

AKR has a photo center with rental cameras but won't rent to you unless you're staying or possibly diving there. Which might work if you go over to dolphin dive one day. AKR will also have a videographer on the dive and sell you the DVD.

Photo Roatan - Anthony's Key Resort - Roatan - Honduras

Thanks all! Waiting for an email back from Caribbean Club.

---------- Post added June 5th, 2013 at 09:59 PM ----------

What I do is bring a USB thumb drive and bum my "been there done that" pics off my fellow divers with expensive cameras :D

See, I was thinking I could do this but I wasn't sure that many would be so quick to share their photos seeing as they put so much $$ into their cameras and all...they don't seem to mind?....I'm a little shy....but it's worth a shot! Then again, I would feel more sentimental towards photos I took myself....if I could take them well enough that is!

I would guess that most of all divers will be more then happy to share there photos with you i know i do it all the time exchange photos with people on my boat that i got know diving with for a couple of days. Just be careful you might have to pay a heavy price like forced to sit there for a hours while they talk you head off about the shouts before they willing to hand over the thumb drive :D

Only way i can see them saying no if they are a professional photographer or has a ego like they are one

Thanks all! Waiting for an email back from Caribbean Club.

---------- Post added June 5th, 2013 at 09:59 PM ----------

See, I was thinking I could do this but I wasn't sure that many would be so quick to share their photos seeing as they put so much $$ into their cameras and all...they don't seem to mind?....I'm a little shy....but it's worth a shot! Then again, I would feel more sentimental towards photos I took myself....if I could take them well enough that is!

If Alex is still there when you're diving with Native Sons, she's their resident photog. I'm not sure on cost but she had little ads posted around the dive shop.

You would be surprised about divers sharing photos.... I have a website and every dive trip we try to get photos and videos of all the divers we have on our boats, then get their e-mail to send it to them. We also give them the link to our website, so they can see other photos from the trip, especially if they don't have a camera.

Renting an underwater camera, especially if you are not good at photography, is a waste of time, IMHO. You will possible spend more time mucking with camera and miss the dive. Better to let others take the photos.

Also, underwater cameras are expensive and if you flood it, you will be liable for full replacement cost. Are you prepared for that? I can't tell you how many people I have seen flood cameras, even when they were being careful or thought they were being careful. Expensive ooops!

robin

You would be surprised about divers sharing photos.... I have a website and every dive trip we try to get photos and videos of all the divers we have on our boats, then get their e-mail to send it to them. We also give them the link to our website, so they can see other photos from the trip, especially if they don't have a camera.

Renting an underwater camera, especially if you are not good at photography, is a waste of time, IMHO. You will possible spend more time mucking with camera and miss the dive. Better to let others take the photos.

robin

You're right, I should just enjoy the dive! Even above the water I spend so much time taking photos that afterwards I realize I've missed whatever it was that was going on! While it is my liking to say, I took this picture, I saw this creature..rather than things others saw....I don't wanna waste my time trying to get the shot when I don't know what I'm doing.
I'll bring a thumb drive. Thanks!

---------- Post added June 6th, 2013 at 10:53 AM ----------

Just be careful you might have to pay a heavy price like forced to sit there for a hours while they talk you head off about the shouts before they willing to hand over the thumb drive :D

HA! I've been warned!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom