what you will chose? NIKON or CANON

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rider

New
Reaction score
comparing between NIKON 5400 or CANON S50, what you will chose and why?
I whant to learn from you my frinds

I don't know enough about either one to have a preference. I'm an Oly girl! wink

One of the biggest reasons I chose the Canon s50 was because of it's size. It's very small, almost small enough to fit into a shirt pocket. The housing is very small as well. You can easily forget about it and enjoy your dive. I didn't like the oly5050 housing because of worring about the camera all the time. I'm not sure how large the nikon is, but it appears to be larger than the s50.

Haven' played with the cannon, but from comparing specs, the Nikon has a closer macro focus range by 2 cm (big whoop), and a slightly smaller LCD screen, and can shoot 1/4000th rather than the cannon's 1/1500 (are you really going to shoot at 1/4000? I have yet to find a need for 1/500!). Other than that, they seem to be virtually identical. I like the Nikon, and have a 4300. When I chose mine, I was looking at the 4300 and the Oly 4040. They had almost identical specs also and what it came down to was how did it feel in my hand and the Nikon won. There is something to be said for the small design of the cannon, but I still like the feel of the Nikon coolpix line.
Also, according to digideep.com, the cannon only has the 1 housing from cannon whereas the Nikon has 5-6 housings to choose from depending on how much you want to spend.

The Canon S50 underwater housing is the Canon WP-DC300, which is comparable in quality (and PRICE!) to the PT series for Olympus cameras.

The Canon housings are NOT made for conventional add-on lenses. A company called Inon got around this however, and now you can get wide angle and closeup lenses for the thing. Sea & Sea made some adapters too.

http://www.seaoptic.com/products/digital/Inonlenses.html

I also picked this camera because of its smaller size. I do a lot of multipurpose diving, and lug an Ikelite Auto 35 stuffed under my BC's shoulder strap. The Canon & housing appear similarly suited to this "cavalier" treatment, and the lower costs of the Canon make me less paranoid about breaking it.

We recently returned from Cozumel, our first diving trip using the S50 in its underwater housing, WP-DC300. ( gallery here: http://www.survivalcreek.com/scuba/cozumel.htm) We also have a Sea&Sea YS25DX strobe. We were really impressed with the results! We have a Canon 10D, but use the S50 as our second/backup surface camera, too. It's a pretty versatile camera and it meets all our expectations - except battery life. We took the housing down to 130 ft. without any problems.

One major difference is cost. The Canon outfit including u/w housing costs a lot less than a 5400 setup. We haven't used the Nikon, so can't give any personal experience history.

But, based on our recent experience, we think we made a great buy. This was our shakedown trip in preparation for a trip later this year to Bali and a week on the Kararu liveaboard.

Let's get wet!!
Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom