Finally getting it together. Picking up my new SM rig next weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Going with the Dive Rite Nomad LT Cave. Also getting some Faber LP 75.5 Cu ft tanks. 6.75 inch diameter with new hydros and vis. Plan is to use them or a couple al80's with it. Just got in my valves and reversible HOG second stage. Looking forward to getting in the water with it thanks to a local shop owner I work with from time to time. Then in a month it's Doppler's SM workshop at Gilboa. Will be taking it and if needed helping him with other participants. This is something I've wanted to for a while for a number of reasons. I want to offer it in the future to some of my students with back and knee problems that have issues with back mounted tanks. being able to just wear a harness in and out of the water and clip tanks on and off may extend the dive life for many people. I've been diving with slung bottles for years with my doubles. But I realize that proper SM is something different so it's little steps and proper instruction with as much practice as possible.

I really liked the idea of LT cave that I had. I ended up selling it for a different system. What was your thought process that led you picking it.

I really liked the idea of LT cave that I had. I ended up selling it for a different system. What was your thought process that led you picking it.

Used it few times also, not bad ... out of curiosity CANDIRU what did you switch to ?

I ended up selling the LT on the bay and getting a stealth. The LT is really really nice, but I am diving dry and was having trouble finding enough places to put lead. I wish I was able to keep both.

That's exactly what I'm thinking of getting, Stealth seems to be well designed and have solution for any problem, either its a weight, size or other ...
I'm signed up to try one with TecDiveGear at Dutch so ... can't wait.

Already looked at those Steve and regs are set up. Did not get the rig this weekend due to not getting my truck back in time to dive on Saturday so picking it up next weekend.

I chose the LT for several reasons. One is I wanted something simple and adaptable to much of the diving I do from dry to wet. Mostly OW with some wrecks thrown in. I have 4 BPW's for the really serious stuff and did not want to spend a fortune on a new SM rig. I got a killer deal on it and a set of tanks to use with it.

I am not a cave diver and will not be in any future I can foresee. A big part of choosing this rig was to select a rig that new divers would be likely to choose at the start for OW classes. That was a big factor. I get students on a regular basis that have issues with mobility, strength, age, etc and sidemount makes real sense for them over backmount. But I can't teach it if I'm not trained and experienced in it so doing that. This is as much a business decision as it is for personal enjoyment and an expansion of my knowledge and skills.

Hey Jim you will love it.
It takes a bit to get the muscle memory and everything adjusted right then you will start to feel it.
I like to think of SM as the ballet of diving, finesse, technique, smooth trim, and clean profile.
Your at Gilboa next week end that is cool.
Will be over there with a class and doing some fun dives as well.
It will be good to see you.

CamG

Back
Top Bottom