Spring length on F1 fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fbk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I just bought some F1's in 2XL and the springs are mounted on the holes furthest back, I wear size 13 Hollis boots and the springs are bordering on the tight side. The black heel pads are hard up against the back of the fin, there is no way you would get the springs forward to the front holes if you wanted to, and all the photos of these fins show longer springs than what I seem to have... so I was wondering what length are the springs meant to be? Mine measure 265mm (10.5") to the ends of spring not including the attachment ring.

Not F1s so not sure how relevant this info is but my F2s came with a 29cm spring total length i.e end to end including loops which sounds like they might be the same as yours.

I get about 30 cm of exposed spring on my size R F1's (includes the loop).

I measured my F1 XL spring length at 30cm. Your 265mm definitely sounds too short. Possibly an assembly error from Hollis?

Thanks for the info... from further reading it appears there is only one std spring size for all the fins, the 2XL has a much bigger foot pocket for it to go around and the spring ends up being not long enough to reach the front holes and therefore isn't "adjustable" at all. Mine would be around 29cm overall I guess. I can live with the sizing but I cannot imagine anyone with a boot bigger than size 13 being comfortable and it seems odd that they don't use a longer spring on the bigger size fin. One that was an inch longer on each side could use both the front holes and have some room to move back for larger feet, I would go back a hole on mine if I could but I can't!

I use the XXL F1's with size 14 scubapro 5mm boots with hard soles. It fits perfectly.

Thanks for the info... from further reading it appears there is only one std spring size for all the fins, the 2XL has a much bigger foot pocket for it to go around and the spring ends up being not long enough to reach the front holes and therefore isn't "adjustable" at all. Mine would be around 29cm overall I guess. I can live with the sizing but I cannot imagine anyone with a boot bigger than size 13 being comfortable and it seems odd that they don't use a longer spring on the bigger size fin. One that was an inch longer on each side could use both the front holes and have some room to move back for larger feet, I would go back a hole on mine if I could but I can't!
Over at DRIS I saw a review of the F1 that said in part: "The spring straps aren't as easy to put on as my old ones, DRIS gave some ideas to loosen the springs up."

I'd personally prefer my spring straps to be slightly longer and softer, so maybe there is a way of stretching them a bit. I may also try removing the rubber heel pad and see how that feels. I have a high instep and don't want so much forward pressure from the spring.

5mm wetsuit boots would go into the foot pocket a bit further I'd imagine. Size 13 Hollis rock boots (which are a very generous size) fit the pockets perfectly, I would just prefer the spring was a bit longer as it's tighter around my heel than I like. Here's what I mean... this is on the LARGEST setting and its hard up against the back of the foot pocket. Just seems odd that on their biggest fin they have used such a short spring with no room for adjustment.

9002646966_35223e9705_c.jpg

I measured my F1 XL spring length at 30cm. Your 265mm definitely sounds too short. Possibly an assembly error from Hollis?

Possibly, but the OP didn't measure the total length doing so would put it at the 29-30cm that others have reported.

Back
Top Bottom