First Time in Puget Sound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmponze

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well I just came out of nowhere. Anyways, I'm lining up a dive in Puget Sound and I'm wondering if anyone can give me any ideas about what some of the good sites are up there and what I can expect to see at them. I've heard stories of massive lingcods and octopuses and people keeping their fingers crossed for orcas, but not sure what is usually found where. I know down here in California there are particular spots you can go if you want to see certain types of wildlife but I have no idea what people tend to see where up there.

Get on the Northwest Dive Club forum and check out www.theperfectdive.com

A lot depends on where you are stationing yourself in the Puget Sound area, and when you are here. Most of our diving is very dependent on tides, and some of our best sites can only be dived on small exchanges. Driving in the Seattle/Tacoma megalopolis can be utterly horrible at the wrong time of day (says Lynne, who spent 95 minutes on a 30 minute drive getting to the dive site this afternoon).

That said, you will see ling cod at many sites, including some that are virtually current-insensitive. Wolf eels are also found in a number of places (but not Alki) and GPOs are found in many places as well. We have huge masses of metridium anemones almost anywhere you go, as well as a wide variety of nudibranchs.

Let us know where you will be staying and when you will be here, and we can make some much more specific recommendations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom