What max Ppo can you breathe indefinetely?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CoopAir

Registered
Reaction score
Never seen this published anywhere, so it got me wondering...

What is the highest Ppo you could breathe indefinitely without any long term reprocussions?

Considering that air is addictive, ever know anybody to stop breathing air once they started, my thought is that it is going to kill you eventually anyway.

There is not enough information known on all the free radical stufff that happens with higher PPO2 to be able to say that ANYTHING over ambient is safe for an indefinite amount of time. Even ambient could be causing problems that are not yet known to us.

Considering that air is addictive, ever know anybody to stop breathing air once they started, my thought is that it is going to kill you eventually anyway.

There is not enough information known on all the free radical stufff that happens with higher PPO2 to be able to say that ANYTHING over ambient is safe for an indefinite amount of time. Even ambient could be causing problems that are not yet known to us.

On the other hand, altitude sickness is a real concern for older people, so presumably less than ambient can also cause problems. Though I do not know if anyone has done research into sea level pressure with less than ambient O2.

I have been on PP0 .21 for some time now without any issues :D

I know that hospitals will have you take periodic breaks from breathing pure O2. As I understand it, even at atmospheric pressure there are potentially some adverse effects from breathing pure O2 for extended periods.

I would not breathe any kind of hyperoxic mix indefinitely.
While we are in saturation, they try not to let the PPo2 go beyond.5
Usually it is maintained at .3 to .4 with a view to the fact that prolonged exposure to higher levels is no good for you.
However, marginally lower than .21 should not be a problem - lots of people live at fairly high altitudes.

.16 is usually considered the demarcation to hypoxic levels of O2. For diving, most agencies say anything below .5 bar is fine for long term exposure. As others said, research into this topic is few and far in between.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom